AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I'll take your word for it. I like mushrooms but wouldn't know to eat one of those! It should be a great season for morrell's next year for all the fires we've had this year!
Bon Appetit!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
One of these days I need to take a mushroom identification class. I know a few and I have a book but a lot of the time I am just guessing and that is one thing that you don't want to do on most of them

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I need to take a class too. Is this a bolete? I saw a ton of them out scouting last month but am too scared to ever pick a wild one. My loss I guess...

Reactions: conibear

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
We were scouting that weekend, but not in this particular area - it's not a secret. It's right near Columbine Campground near Central City, CO. The area has a network of very popular 4x4 trails and we were having a good time putting my buddy's Tacoma through its paces. He just threw a lift kit and some 35" muddies on it, and why do that if you're not going to abuse them!

I may be a wimp, but eating wild mushrooms gives me the willies. As far away from a hospital as I usually am on my trips, I just can't bring myself to take that kind of risk. Everyone who does enjoy that kind of thing, please take my share, with my compliments! :D

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you learn the good ones to eat such as puffballs, and morels you will be pretty much alright.

It's the ones that you have to think about that scare me. Plus where Conibear lives there are rooms all over the place with as much as it rains. When I lived up in Washington you couldn't go for a walk without tripping over them.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had a gentleman that know more about mushrooms that most recommend a book to me that even he uses.

It is All That The Rain Promises, and More..... by David Arora. It is mostly for western mushroom but may work for those of you out east.

Reactions: conibear

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
If you learn the good ones to eat such as puffballs, and morels you will be pretty much alright.
I think my problem is that I actually did this once. I found this one-page cheat sheet on recognizing them and took it on a hike. I didn't find a single mushroom in the wild that I thought I had 100% accurately identified. Everything was different in some way. They honestly all look the same to me! :)

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Puffballs are easy, I have found them anywhere from the size of a marble all the way up to volleyball size. They look just like their name, no stem to speak of but mostly round and white.

Morels are another one that is quite easy, but I agree with a lot of the others looking a lot alike.

HIcountryman

Nov 30, 2019
CO
Boleets have spongy underside of cap instead of gills. I was schooled on them on a high country deer hunt in 2017 by some older folks foraging for them. They gave me a nice big one and it elevated my tuna and ramen quite a bit!

Definitely do your research, get some help by experienced 'shroomer before eating anything you find.., there are lots of bad ones out there.