The 40 acre deer refuge 2022

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I let my food plots grow since last fall. I took the scag down there and did a couple loops around the fields to see if the clover would take off a bit. Funds for summer food plots have went by the wayside this year with the house/garage build.

I embarrassed to take a picture of what I have done to them with my mower. lol

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
She's ready to burst.

~June 4th is about the day they will start dropping the next generation here.

Time to get a few more coyote traps out.

Reactions: Hilltop

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Why did you mount that on timbers instead of pouring a concrete pad? Not being critical, just wondering. I've thought a few times about buying a mill and always figured I'd pour a concrete pad. I can see having it setup like you do it might be easier to offload the cut lumber. Front end loader would make it easy enough to load the log into the mill.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
My friend had one that was on the ground on a concrete slab. I helped him for one day and decided that it was Waaaay too much heavy lifting when you have it set on the ground. He even raised his up on concrete blocks after a few weeks of milling.

I had all of the materials lying around to build it off the ground (With the exception of the 6X6's that run horizontal under the bed of the mill).

Also, I'm gonna build me a roof over the thing and a log landing with a ramp to set the logs onto so then all I have to do is roll them onto the mill. When the logs are laying on the ramp I can cut any knots or crap off of them with the chainsaw before I roll them onto the mill. Then once I roll them onto the mill I will fold the ramp arms up and out of the way. Its a lot easier working on heavy stuff at waist height than bending over. Getting slabs off the mill is a breeze. You just give them a shove and let gravity take over. Then I scrape them all up with the pallet forks and stack them in slab jig for cutting into firewood.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I ended up going with SBS (Steel Buildings and Structures) out of North Carolina. Took them 2.5 days to put it up but I am very pleased with it. Total under roof is 2400sf. Total Enclosed is 1350. The awning sure is nice and I am glad when I got that thing ordered when I did. They are 15% more right now....

Reactions: buckbull

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Like the posts and updates! Keep ‘em coming. More n more will start showing up as the season progresses. My kids little food plot has 5 different bucks coming in. 2 nice 8s that definitely would be great bucks for a first deer. He’s jacked!

Reactions: mallardsx2