The 40 acre deer refuge 2021

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Pretty sure this is the same buck. He was the only deer that came to the plot last night.

On another note: The deer are still not hitting these purple top turnips and radishes. Its getting a little bit depressing at this point. I consider that to be a lot of wasted effort. Next year its cow peas, corn, and Durana clover.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
are they not eating the bulb or the green , or nothing at all? My old piece of property, the deer would absolutely not touch the turnips I planted. I tried multiple years, different varieties, and they would just not eat them. My buddy about 12 miles away couldn’t keep the deer off his turnips! His plot looked like pigs ripped through it, the deer hit it so hard.
On my plots, the deer always hammered the chicory and beans. So that’s what I planted there.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Honestly, I didn't dig any up to see what kind of bulb I ended up with. I hate going near the food plots. I dont even like to check the camera cards to keep as much human scent out of there as possible. So I dont really and truly know what grew sub-surface.

They are not eating the tops either. Everyone said once they got a frost the tops would start getting hit but thats certainly not the case.

All of the pictures of them feeding is them eating the grass seed that was in the bag.

The picture really doesn't show the big picture as its pretty shaded there so the turnips didn't grow well there. I will see if I can post up some daytime photos of what the plot looks like. My lab can hardly be seen when he is standing in the plot....

Needless to say, I'm going to be changing things up dramatically next year....

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I try to stay out of my plots as much as possible too. That’s why I switched to wireless cams on my plots. I can somewhat monitor growth without having to physically being there.
What type of “grass” is in the blend?

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The brassica's took over most of the plot and shaded everything else out.
My upper food plots were basically the same. With a row of turnips and a row of radishes on the perimeter.

Copied and pasted from the website:

Pennington’s RACKMASTER Fall Deluxe Deer Mixture is a combination of winter annual grasses, legumes and brassica species that attract deer and provide the carbohydrates needed to help the deer herd build up stored fat to maintain good body condition through the rut and winter stress period. Wheat, oats, rye, Austrian winter peas, crimson clover and brassica are included in this premium seed mix - all of which supply the high protein and energy deer need during the winter season. This combination of ingredients ensures that a nutrient dense food source is available for 6 or more months throughout winter and into early spring. RACKMASTER Fall Deluxe Mixture also provides excellent habitat for quail and turkey. It features RapidResults seed germination enhancement technology which promotes quicker emergence and stronger, deeper root growth. The result is a hardier and more productive food plot that will attract and hold wildlife in the area longer.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I’m guessing it’s the rye and wheat they’re hitting. By me, winter rye is my primary food in my plots. The deer absolutely hammer it over anything else I plant. It tends to stay green longer. They’ll hit from September and I still hunt over it in december. And it’s pretty darn easy to grow with minimal effort

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Green and yellow are this years menu.

I'm going to expand this spring to the blue line with a variety of stuff.

Most of the photos are coming from the western plot. I think I have only gotten 10 pictures from the eastern plot since I planted it months ago.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
It’s hard to judge by pic of whole the area. But that west plot looks like a better more secluded area. Nice honey hole wrapped up!
Maybe on that other plot, making it bigger next year you could try screening it off? Make it more secluded with multiple types of food!