The 2019 Elk Success Thread

sdhunters

Dec 22, 2018
Eastern South Dakota
A couple of 59 yr old first time NR DIY archers hit Wyoming opener yesterday and although we did no kill an elk, we had some of the success we hoped for. Couple cows at 30 yards and another at 35 yards. Heard bull bugle 3 times night before opening day. Had a small bull come in and spook off only to come back to cow calls and get just inside 50 yards but was frontal the whole time. 30 minutes of excitement made our trip a success. Headed back for 9 days in a couple weeks. Hope to have "success" photo after that.

the wanderer

Nov 14, 2012
Burlington, WI
A couple of 59 yr old first time NR DIY archers hit Wyoming opener yesterday and although we did no kill an elk, we had some of the success we hoped for. Couple cows at 30 yards and another at 35 yards. Heard bull bugle 3 times night before opening day. Had a small bull come in and spook off only to come back to cow calls and get just inside 50 yards but was frontal the whole time. 30 minutes of excitement made our trip a success. Headed back for 9 days in a couple weeks. Hope to have "success" photo after that.
Sounds like success. Keep after them and good luck.

Reactions: sdhunters

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Ok, I'm 66 years old and this is my 4th year. 1st year was a big 0 with a few encounters but had no clue what to do. 2nd year arrowed a young 5 point and lost him. Found him a week later by the birds with a bear on him eating. Nicked one last year but watched him walk away unharmed. Did shoot a cow with a rifle in the bonus season last year. This year I called in and shot a spike last Friday Sept 6th. took all night but I packed him out solo (3 trips). Next year I am going to hold out a little longer for a bigger bull.28122