The 2018 Mule Deer Picture Thread!

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
View attachment 22488
Was able to help my friend tag his first mule deer!
Aged at 4 1/2. He passed up some younger bucks along the way, one was a 18" 4x5 that most anyone would have been happy to tag for their first buck. Bases were 5 1/2" back tines were over 16".
Tell him congrats, always cool to see someone get their first buck!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee

My granddad killed his biggest animal to date. 74 yrs young, our 4th trip to SE Montana and he kills the biggest Muley we have ever taken from this area.

Watching him through the spotter.

We hunted this buck for 3 days. Day one I had him dead at 130yards. The rifle steady on the sticks, all my granddad had to do was crawl a bit further. Unfortunately and unknown at the time he had a bad case of bronchitis. He just couldn?t catch his breath, I was worried that he was having heart issues. He told me to shoot, I considered it for a split second because it was one of the largest bucks we had ever seen, but I told myself ?no, Papa is gonna kill this buck?. So as my granddad painstakingly made his way up to me I watched the buck disappear over the rise.
Day 2, we spotted him a mile off bedded with absolutely no way for us to put a stalk on him without being busted. Not to mention his breathing and coughing was getting progressively worse. We marked the last place we seen him before dark with hopes he would be close the next morning.
Day 3, persistence paid off and some how we were able to catch him going from his feed grounds to bed. We intercepted him and with perfect stalking conditions and excellent terrain we got within 100 yards. The buck had no idea we were there and with a steady shot from his 30-06 BLR his biggest buck dropped dead.

I?ve never seen him so excited after a kill. Honestly, he didn?t know how big the buck was but I think he realized that we had hunted pretty hard for this buck and he fed off my determination for it. Add the fact that he simply couldn?t hike much do to his lack of breath, it was quite the accomplishment.

I?m humbled to spend time with him on trips like these.

virgil

Jul 31, 2018
Rib lake wi
Awesome job to all on the great bucks!

special awesome to AT Hiker glad you could get your granddad a great buck, he would of never pulled it off without your attitude and complete un-selfishness, memories like that will last forever.

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
We just got back from Montana. Overall, it was another great hunt. Had a hard time locating nature bucks this year. The wind blew so hard the first few days and the deer were hunkered down. Then it rained....lol. the muck was something spectacular. We eventually got some good weather and found some nice bucks. Here are a few pics of my buck. Gross scored 149". I am happy with him, bucks were fat and healthy this year. Saw over a hundred deer every day and got to have a great time with friends and family. Congrats to everyone on their success, I consider you all friends and love all the sharing. 20181105_085700.jpg20181105_085700.jpg20181108_081424.jpg20181108_081424.jpg20181105_084612.jpg20181105_084612.jpg20181108_081220.jpg20181108_081220.jpg

Last edited:

Sotxks

Jan 22, 2018
South Texas
Hunted for our first time in Colorado last week for 3rd season. Hunted our butts off first few days, only to find our bucks a half mile from camp. We are definitely hooked on muley hunting!