Tent Reviews Wanted

akrem44

Sep 7, 2014
Anyone have any experience with the Kelty salida 2? thinking on buying this but am torn between the fly creek 2 and the kelty salida. Mostly looking at the salida seeing as it is rated to be a little more durable.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Anyone have any experience with the Kelty salida 2? thinking on buying this but am torn between the fly creek 2 and the kelty salida. Mostly looking at the salida seeing as it is rated to be a little more durable.
I had the fly cr 2. I got rid of it. I will never have a tent without a side entrance.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
X2 on side entrance. I have never had a wet issue with my Copper Spur. I love having an entrance for each person. I have the UL3 which will sleep two comfortably. A little more more weight then the UL2 but my partner can carry some of it and if I am by myself it is usually not for 10 days so I am not fully loaded anyway. Now if I had the extra money to spend the Helleberg would most likley be my choice but I can buy an extra pair of Lowa's and quite a few extra goodies for the money saved with the BA and still have one fine tent.

akrem44

Sep 7, 2014
After doing some further research it looks like i will be getting the copper2 look pretty nice as well. Thanks for the info

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
Wild Country Duolite, it's just shy of 6 pounds, but it's self-standing with an external frame, the inner and fly go up together and clip to the frame. So it's easy to set up if it's raining and/or windy.

Another thing I liked about it was that it has a lot less mesh in the inner, so it's a bit warmer. It would be great if it was lighter, but the easy setup (inner doesn't get wet and not having to put a fly on when it's trying to blow away) make the extra weight worth it.

I got it for $170ish dollars on Amazon.

coatimundi01

Mar 31, 2015
I have an MSR Hoop 2 that I got for a steal at an REI garage sale ($55!) and it's worked well so far. It's not the lightest or smallest, but will sleep 2 side by side and has nice vertical walls for headroom. Dual side entrances and dual vestibules. Things I wish it had was more mesh on the walls for better ventilation or at least mesh door options. It just has two main doors in the solid tent material to save weight from having a solid door and a mesh door.

With rain fly

Without

Packed on top of my Osprey although now I just put the tent poles on the side of the pack and stuff the rest inside the main compartment

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My new KUIU 2P was shipped yesterday. I will test it out in my front yard and give a quick report after I get it. The real test will be a Manitoba canoe trip in June and a WY mule deer hunt in Sept.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I am guessing the link in my signature helped a bit...... either that or I have a stalker problem:cool:
Haha^^ I was going to tell you that I was stalking you by sending you roses, but I guess you just figured it out and I just saved $30 on flowers. Lol. Now I got more money to spend on hunting! Going to try and talk my wife into letting me get the Snugpack bunker, looks like a dang nice tent.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
The contrail is the best ultralight solo tent I have used. I really like it. However, Since I tried hanging a hammock, I haven't used the tarptent. If I was heading to an area with no place to hang, I would grab the contrail first, though.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
I have a hammock with a bug net and a noah tarp great comb but that is my concern no trees so I have needed a back up plan and liked the tarpin tents someone else mentioned my concern with the bathtub style floor is splash in with really bad weather.

Last edited:

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I finally got my KUIU 2P tent delivered yesterday. I set it up in the garage, and that thing is sure a slick rig. I am leaving on my canoe guiding gig in Manitoba, and would like to give it a good shakedown. However, my trips are generally 8-10 days each and my arthritic back thanks me every night for the hammock, so I decided to stick with that. I will definitely give the KUIU a shakedown before packing it up the Wyoming mountain this fall. The KUIU is about half the size, 2/3 the weight, with almost as much room inside, with better vestibules, and a far stronger pole setup than my two other 2 person tents.

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Like a lot of you, I too did a ton of research and this is what I purchased to ensure quality, durability, price, space, etc..

Kelty Gunnison-model had a floor of 92 x 58. 3+Season, Clips, footprint, 2 side vestibuls, etc. Comes in at 6lb. Additionally, at the time, it had the largest amount of space for a 2 man tent.
All this for $200.00