Tent, bivy sack or hammock?

ckink65284

Aug 28, 2012
Colorado
I had a Tarptent Contrail that I used last September for archery season. Great product, but I didn't like the single wall design because of the condensation and I didn't like crawling in from the end instead of the side. Sold it.

Now I am trying to figure out what to buy for this year. Looking at the Tarptent Moment DW and a couple of hammocks now.

Just curious what you like for backcountry sleeping quarters and why.

As always, pics are appreciated...

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I have used a LOT of floorless shelters and some pretty standard ones too. As long as I pack properly I can make do in just about any of them.. Cold weather my preference will always be a stove though in a floorless shelter.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I had a Tarptent Contrail that I used last September for archery season. Great product, but I didn't like the single wall design because of the condensation and I didn't like crawling in from the end instead of the side. Sold it.

Now I am trying to figure out what to buy for this year. Looking at the Tarptent Moment DW and a couple of hammocks now.

Just curious what you like for backcountry sleeping quarters and why.

As always, pics are appreciated...

Great photo. You found a nice cozy spot rite there. I'm with you on the hammock tho but then decided where I normally hunt there aren't much for trees around and I don't think the hammock would sit high enought if I tied it between two fence posts. I do have a bivy but only used it once. It was a bit cramped for me but served its purpose. I seem to end up in a crappy little 2 man tent and hunt out from there. Again serves the purpose with more room.

In God We Trust

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Colorado
I only wanted to spend money on a shelter once so I bought the Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2. It works for 3 seasons and I like the added weather protection of a breathable tent. Great tent bro!

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I felt like I was doing yoga to get in and out of the Fly Creek 2, so I traded it out for a Copper Spur 2 with the side door. I am thinking of getting a Copper Spur 1 or a Tarptent Rainbow to cut more weight and volume. I find myself basing many decisions on whether it is American made or not. I can't quite go away from a freestanding tent with a floor.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have a few Bivey Sacks that I have used in the past The problem I have had with the Bivey sacks is condensation build up in both of them. So I went back to a tent.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
camofire has a backside tent up right now for $80 i just purchased one. (i have an old kelty and ill pass that down to my boy). its a one man, it comes in at almost 4 pounds but it is a 3 season tent. i do enjoy using a bivy but there realy isnt much diff in bivy and a one man, there is and isnt... if that makes since. as was said earlier, 2 man tents are nice so you can keep bag and bow in tent with you. i allways pack a small tarp with me to cover those at night.

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
Some of the cheaper tents can be very cost effective. They are cheap because they don't use the most high tech materials.

I bought a 1 man REI Passage tent on Craigslist to play around with. I cut the top out of the tent and turned it into a bathtub floor. I cut about 6" off of the poles so the fly can be pulled right down to the ground. You can still get plenty of ventilation by pulling the fly out on the sides. It is really small to pack, and is down to 3lb-2oz. I have less than $100 in this shelter, and it still has room for me and my gear under cover.

mrcowboy

May 1, 2013
Northern NM
I've used the Big Agnes seed house SL1. 2 pounds 9 oz fully packed or 2 pounds with just fly, poles, and foot print. Decently priced and well made.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
A hammock with a down underquilt and rainfly is nice if you have something to hang from, super comfortable, quick and easy to set up/tear down. They have their pros and cons, but they do have a place in your camping arsenal and once you learn to lay in them they are super comfortable, much so more than any sleeping pad I have tried.

Here is a hang I did in AL on a spring turkey hunt.
DSC01476.jpg

turk870

Dec 22, 2012
tn
got a question drew a second season mule deer tag in area 34 in Colorado .this will be our first backcountry hunt(we have back country camped before just not that late in the year)we have hammocks now.but due to the time of year would have to buy under quilts and top quilts.been thinking about getting a tipi and a stove.
the hammocks would be more comfortable to sleep in than on the ground but the heat from the stove and also being able to dry clothing with it has me leaning more twords the tipi.

AT Hiker

Very Active Member
Aug 2, 2012
Tennessee
Only thinkg about hammocking is to have trees to hang in, so make sure of that.

I only have a underquilt and sleep in below freezing temps with a 20 degree bag.

I would like to have a tipi with a stove myself, my hunting buddy has mentioned getting one so hopefully he will! I just cannot spend the money on one right now.

ckink65284

Aug 28, 2012
Colorado
got a question drew a second season mule deer tag in area 34 in Colorado .this will be our first backcountry hunt(we have back country camped before just not that late in the year)we have hammocks now.but due to the time of year would have to buy under quilts and top quilts.been thinking about getting a tipi and a stove.
the hammocks would be more comfortable to sleep in than on the ground but the heat from the stove and also being able to dry clothing with it has me leaning more twords the tipi.
No telling what the weather will be like then. I think it is always better to err on the side of caution and be ready for winter conditions. A tipi with a stove sounds real cozy if it storms.

predator_master223

Sep 8, 2014
Kansas
I've been running a surplus Gore-Tex bivy. I roll my sleeping bag up in it while I'm on the move and it keeps everything dry. Put a sleeping pad inside with your sleeping bag when you make camp to keep from sliding off in the middle of the night. A good, light weight syl-nylon tarp like a Noah's Tarp to keep the rain/snow off and you've got a light weight, packable, compressible camp that is easy to set up. If you don't have trees for the tarp, trekking poles work or pick up a couple of limbs to use for hiking until you make a camp. This is also a very economical set up.

RockChucker30

Feb 22, 2014
Tennessee
I use either a small floorless 1/2 man shelter that is stove capable, or a hammock most of the time. For buggy and hot weather hammocks are tough to beat.