Tent and sleeping bag question.

1seth

Jan 15, 2013
Hattiesburg, MS
What degree bag can you get by with for a New Mexico Mid september Hunt. Also I know you can get by without a tent but what is the bug/mosquito situation like in new mexico in september. Just trying to get some opinions from some guys that have done some backcountry camping in new mexico during september.

Kolpin10

Jun 28, 2012
Pleasanton, tx
A 30 degree bag will get you by in the high country, as far as bugs I can't say it has always been dry on my hunts or at least leading up to my hunts.

Midwest to Outwest

Apr 17, 2011
Glendale, AZ
I'd say that it depends where you are hunting. There can be wide range of temperatures based on your location. I would google the average temp for the nearest city to your hunt. If you will be hunting high on a mountain, I believe you can expect the temp to be 3-4degrees cooler per 1000 feet of elevation. I would definately bring some sort of tent; like cowboy said, it could rain quite a bit. As for the sleeping bag: I would think you could get away with a 20 degree bag. Again, depends on overnight temps. Just don't under-do it. I have a 0 deree bag that I use for just about all of my hunts because its lighter weight than my 20 degree bag. I can unzip it, if too warm, but if your bag is too cold you're just miserable.

A tip: When its cold outside, put a handwarmer in a sock and throw it in the bottom of your bag. Its a lifesaver.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'm a pretty warm sleeper, and rarely get cold, but I pack a 0 degree bag. It gets pretty damn cold in the high country, even in September.. For me, saving a few ounces on a 20 degree bag just isn't worth it.

1seth

Jan 15, 2013
Hattiesburg, MS
i appreciate it. I have a 0 degree bag but it takes up so much room. think i need to invest in a better bag, that packs alot smaller. I cannot believe how much some of these top rated bags cost.