Teal

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Took the pooch out for her first official duck hunt this weekend, and got into a good bunch of birds this morning, killing limits in about 25 minutes or so. The dog is really starting to improve, as she figures out its much easier to find the birds if she takes the time to watch them get shot and fall, versus just racing out there.

We are still struggling with bringing the bird all the way to hand (I have no idea where this problem came from... She has never shown it in training).

photo 1.jpgphoto 2.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I am the sideways photo posting king of this forum.... No idea how to change that, sorry in advance for the cricks in necks.

JEandAsGuide

Dec 11, 2012
Zachary, LA
Nice! Congrats! My brothers lab does the same thing, she will drop about 5 or 6 feet from him. Don't look like I will be able to make a teal hunt this year with all the OT at work. The spare time I have had has been getting plots and roads ready to plant.

Aug 28, 2013
Looks like a great hunt. Their is nothing like a big bunch of ducks or geese coming in, and I love watching my lab watch the ducks in the air while they are flying.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Looks like a great hunt. Their is nothing like a big bunch of ducks or geese coming in, and I love watching my lab watch the ducks in the air while they are flying.
My dog just started figuring out whistling wings meant ducks in the air. By then end of the first day, she was spotting ducks before I was. I LOVE hunting over her already. I cannot wait until its time for the big ducks. I might not take my annual week long deer hunt, and just chase mallards instead!

Aug 28, 2013
I don't know where blue springs is located,but I'm sure your in the Mississippi flyway. So you guys get a lot of the cool ducks that we don't get here in Indiana, like canvasbacks ,and redheads.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I'm about 20 miles east of Kansas City. I've hunted ducks hard for 15 years or so, and have never killed a canvasback, and have only seen one get killed in my entire hunting career. I've shot a few redheads, but not many, less than 5, probably.

We shoot mostly mallards, and get quite a few gadwalls and green wing teal. I'll shoot a few widgeons and pintails each year as well. All the wood ducks are gone by the time we open up.

Aug 28, 2013
We hunted ducks and geese pretty hard for a few years, but our hunting group kind of got busy and grew apart. I have seen several redheads and just a few canvasbacks but I've never killed either. I have killed a pintail and the only widgeon I have seen. I am patiently waiting on a green wing teal from my taxidermist. Wood ducks are pretty tasty!

VanderLaan

Oct 4, 2013
We are still struggling with bringing the bird all the way to hand (I have no idea where this problem came from... She has never shown it in training).
Cool pics. Great looking pup. I often say that I would rather hunt without a gun than without my dog.

Force fetch her and she will bring the bird to hand. It is pretty easy to do, just takes a while to do it.

THelms

Administrator
Staff member
Fink,
Just some friendly advice if you want it. My male did the same thing... I don't know why but I fixed it by keeping a whole bird and working with him on a check cord, enforcing the "hold" command while pulling him to me and making him sit at heel while holding the bird. It only took about five minutes before he figured it out. Lots of love and praise and excitement beats force fetching for me. I run English dogs and use English methods, works for me but to each his own. I've seen buddies force fetch their dogs and sometimes it worked and sometimes it ruined the dog. I'd want a professional's assistance for that kind of invasive training. Just my dos pesos.