Tag fees

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Not worth it to me most years (since there is another option). I think it will make the special/regular gap much bigger(at least for awhile). I will stay with the regular though, as I've always done and just plan on drawing a little less in WY. For now at least, there are still lots of options, especially since I've been building and using points in most western states for 20+ years. I'm lucky also to have the option to go to AK when the schedule is thin, since I have 3 sisters, nieces/nephews and childhood friends that live there :).

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
My hunting group (3 of us) have banked enough points to probably draw deer and antelope tags next year. I have only applied for a special tag (for deer) once and I did not draw. Don't anticipate applying for a special tag in the future.

Reactions: Naturebob

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Nope but it will be paid and I’m sure it won’t matter much to most non residents that have many points and still trying to get a tag.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
You nailed it on the head Trent, as long as people pay the price it will be what it is. This will funnel some high point holders through the special drawing for a time, but eventually more will jump in that pool and back to square one.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

wy-tex

Veteran member
May 2, 2016
SE Wyoming
Plenty of lower price or reduced priced tags for those that hunt for meat.
Poachers are going to poach no matter how much a license costs.
They will sell every elk tag but pronghorn may get some passed down to the regular draw the first couple of years.
I'm betting some second choice licenses will get taken in the Special and those folks will get to keep their PPs too.
Won't help PP creep.

Timber Stalker

May 22, 2020
I’d pay the increase fee, it take 18-25 years to draw a decent tag in Oregon today. Starting at zero could be 30-40

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
I disagree. Sure I am an older hunter who has hunted for 70 years and taken my share of big game. I guess that fact plays with my mind and I just won't pay that much, especially when the regular price tags are available.
No offense intended, but I'd guess you have more money than time left to hunt.

I also tend to agree with your post that the prices in Wyoming are pretty steep for the special fees.

It's a tough decision to make whether the special fees are worth it.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
No offense intended, but I'd guess you have more money than time left to hunt.

I also tend to agree with your post that the prices in Wyoming are pretty steep for the special fees.

It's a tough decision to make whether the special fees are worth it.
No offense taken. Being 82 years old and having 5 replacement joints (2 knees, 2 shoulders and an ankle) and recent back surgery weigh a lot in my decisions about hunting choices. If I knew I could draw a favorite deer unit in Wyoming with a special tag application and I figured I only had a few years left to hunt, I might very well apply for it. I have applied for a special deer tag before (didn't draw it). You have to really look at the history of NR special vs regular draw in each unit as sometimes regular draw has better odds than the special draw.

Reactions: BuzzH

BuzzH

Very Active Member
Apr 15, 2015
No offense taken. Being 82 years old and having 5 replacement joints (2 knees, 2 shoulders and an ankle) and recent back surgery weigh a lot in my decisions about hunting choices. If I knew I could draw a favorite deer unit in Wyoming with a special tag application and I figured I only had a few years left to hunt, I might very well apply for it. I have applied for a special deer tag before (didn't draw it). You have to really look at the history of NR special vs regular draw in each unit as sometimes regular draw has better odds than the special draw.
I think the increased special fees will change things, that's going to be tough to predict. I would think $1200 for a deer/pronghorn tag is going to cause some to pump the brakes on applying special. I would also predict a 1-2 point reduction in point creep in many pronghorn and deer units.

I don't think the odds or points required for the top tier units for pronghorn and deer is going to change at all due to the fee increases.

Will be an interesting year trying to sort out.

Good luck in the draw and I hope you draw your tags.

Reactions: Colorado Cowboy

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I think the increased special fees will change things, that's going to be tough to predict. I would think $1200 for a deer/pronghorn tag is going to cause some to pump the brakes on applying special. I would also predict a 1-2 point reduction in point creep in many pronghorn and deer units.

I don't think the odds or points required for the top tier units for pronghorn and deer is going to change at all due to the fee increases.

Will be an interesting year trying to sort out.

Good luck in the draw and I hope you draw your tags.
I think you are right about the changes that might happen. It will be interesting to see what happens.