Swaro's

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
In my opinion if you have the money the swarobrites are worth it. Put them both on a tripod and look through them and you can tell a difference. I bought the EL's because the Swarobrites had just come out, and I couldn't pass up the price difference between them.(EL's were on sale) EL's are still excellent glass, just wish I had bought them years ago.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I don't know if you are asking about the older ELs w/ Swarobright coatings or the brand new "Swarovision" ELs. Swarobright is Swarovski's marketing name for dielectric prism coatings. Dielectric coatings primarily decrease the amount of light that is lost bouncing off the mirrored surface of the prism, which leads to a brighter image. The Swarovision is a totally new design that incorporates ED glass objectives. They also have a super-low distortion view. This can be a problem for hunters, however, because a lack of pincushion distortion can cause the image to appear like a "rolling ball" when panning. The rolling ball effect is annoying to me, so I prefer a little pincushion distortion, which the older ELs and SLCs had. The amount of distortion in a binocular is not a flaw, but is intentionally designed into the binocular. Some people do not notice the rolling ball effect, and love the new Swarovision. It has very sharp edges.

Hope that helps.

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
I have the old EL's and love them, I was staring through a pair of simmons 10X50s for years and wondered why i got a headache after a few minutes, I will never go back to cheep optics, they are worth the money. But in your case i'm not sure the new addition a huge difference, or advantage

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
Thanks for the help.
I found a pair of 2004 10x42 EL's in really good shape and bought them. I currently have a pair of Cabelas Eurovision that are pretty nice but I think the Swaro's will be a step up. I really couldn't spend two grand for a new pair so it sounds like I actually made a good choice.
We shall see tomorrow.

Mt-thomas

Feb 21, 2011
Stevensville, MT
I just bought the new Vortex Razor HD 10-42 and am very impressed with them. before i purchased them i compared them to the Swaro EL's and the SLC. I could of afforded the EL's but i couldnt find that big of a difference for another $1000. I would say the Swaro are definatly a better bino, but not that much better. hope this helps and good luck.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Mt-thomas,

Those Razor HDs are nice bins. I am sure you will get some good use out of them. Nice to see another Bitterrooter on the forum, too!

squirrelduster

Apr 26, 2011
Sebastopol, Ca
I have received the Swaro's and there is definitely a difference between my Cabelas Eurovision and the EL 10x42.
If I paid full price for a new pair I can't say they are worth the extra cash.
Bottom line is they are better, sharper and better color rendition.
I am ready for bow season to try them out.