Swans in Nevada

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Never drew any tags this year and it looks like the chukar hunting is going to be tough. Anyways, drew a swan tag and was wondering if anyone on here waterfowl hunts, if you've ever gone after them, and if you have any advice for me.

From what I've found on the internet, it seems like they'll be migrating sometime around the beginning of December?

Any help is appreciated as I've only lived in Reno a little over a year and have never duck hunted Nevada.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Don't know anything about hunting them in Nevada, but my Grandfather was raised in Montana and as a kid they shot them. He said they were the best eating of any waterfowl he ever tasted.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
There is a gun club I used to be a member of out by Fallon. It was called Green Head hunt club. It's in the Stillwater refuge. Used to be great hunting for geese and the occasional Swan. It's been a few years since I was there. Used to be $50 for the membership.

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
IMG_0571.jpg

Hey guys, just wanted to say thanks for the help. Knocked this guy down a couple of weeks ago. Ended up getting him out at the Stillwater NWR by Fallon. The lake that I got him at was called Swan Lake... go figure.

MSUcat61

Apr 7, 2011
ABQ, NM
Thanks for all the great comments! I'm not going to mount it. Though I'd kind of like to, I'm a student so I don't really have the extra moolah or a place to put it. It supposedly tastes a little like beef, but I haven't had the chance to try it yet. I'm guessing it will be a lot more like goose, but we'll see. You can buy a second tag, so I might get another one over the Christmas break.