SW Montana Elk

rcfireninja

Mar 3, 2014
Rapid City, SD
I drew a general combo tag for MT. This will be my second bull tag, struck out in Colorado OTC archery 4 years ago. Was able to get a cow last year in Wyoming for my first elk.

I have some areas narrowed down in SW Montana, grizzly country. I rented a cabin in Island Park, ID the third week of June for a family trip to Yellowstone (scouting trip).

Plan on doin day hikes with the family to hot springs and lakes up in elevation then glassing for elk.

I have September 9-18 off to get it done with my bow.

Any suggestions/hints/discussion in the following months would be greatly appreciated to help get me ready.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DanPickar

Mar 4, 2014
Wyoming
I drew a general combo tag for MT. This will be my second bull tag, struck out in Colorado OTC archery 4 years ago. Was able to get a cow last year in Wyoming for my first elk.

I have some areas narrowed down in SW Montana, grizzly country. I rented a cabin in Island Park, ID the third week of June for a family trip to Yellowstone (scouting trip).

Plan on doin day hikes with the family to hot springs and lakes up in elevation then glassing for elk.

I have September 9-18 off to get it done with my bow.

Any suggestions/hints/discussion in the following months would be greatly appreciated to help get me ready.

Thanks everyone.

Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sounds like you're on the right track. Don't expect to find the bulls in the same place in September that you found in the summer. They'll move by then. Sounds like a good trip to get to know the lay of the land though.