Surgery!

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
So i got some bad news a few days ago. I am probably going to have to have my gall bladder removed sooner than later. I have to call Doctors tomorrow and see how long i may be able to put it off. The reason is i drew my Wyoming moose tag this year and was planning on bowhunting starting the 1st of Sept. and gun hunt from the15th til i get it. I also drew a good bull elk tag this year also. Just my luck, finally 2 good tags and have to have surgery. Never had surgery in my life and i will be 40 in Oct. Here is my question. I'm sure some of you have had this surgery. How long were you out for and when were you able to pick up and haul any substantial weight? Like a moose quarter? I dont mind if i miss bow season, but i don't want to miss rifle season for moose and waste my probably once in a lifetime tag! I might be able to get doctors note and call G&F and see if i could give my tag back this year and get another for next year, but i don't want to wait any longer and i saved up a ton of vacation for this year just to moose hunt. What would you guys do in my shoes? Or should i find out first what doctor says of how long i can wait to have it removed and time frame for recovery? I definately don't want an emergency hunting, but don't want to waste a moose tag. I think i have to give it back BEFORE any season starts and that is about 10 days away. What's everyones oppinion? Thanks for any replies.

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
Today most of the time there is no incision, they usually just make 4 small holes and remove it orthroscopically. I would definitely get into see the Dr and explain your situation ASAP.

johnsd16

Mar 16, 2014
N Idaho
It'd be six weeks from surgery to pack anything, minimum. If it's not an emergent gallbladder then it can wait most likely. Ask the doc for some ursodiol or do the apple cider vinegar gallbladder cleanse with those tags!

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
If your Dr. is a hunter, then he might understand, but otherwise he will likely think that you are nuts to even consider putting it off for a hunt. If you are physically able to hunt with or without the surgery, then line up ALL the help you can get so that you don't have to lift anything other than your rifle and your own carcass. Good luck in any event.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I'd ask the Dr. I just had mine removed in January. I had two pretty bad flair ups before the 2016 hunting seasons, but was determined to put it off until after my Coues deer hunt. In my case I knew what I ate to cause the episodes, so I was super careful when, what and how much I ate. I lost about 20 pounds. It's amazing how being afraid of enduring about 6 hours of excruciating pain makes you stay disciplined :) For me eating too much before going to bed was the trigger, along with rich,fatty foods of course. (Both times it was on a Sunday evening at 1:00am until about 7:00 am.). It ended up working out, but it is a lot better to have it removed on a planned surgery, than waiting too long and needing an emergency procedure. It can be dangerous or even life threatening in some cases, due to infection or if it leads to pancreas issues. I'd definitely explain your situation and listen to your Dr.
The recovery was longer than I planned. 6 weeks is recommended due to the fact that they cut through the muscle in 4 spots (very small incisions though) and could herniate if you strain too hard before they heal enough(ie. moose packing) The hard part is I felt pretty good rather quickly, but it's real important to limit lifting. I kind of over did it due to all the snow to shovel this winter and it set me back a couple times. I'm probably lucky I didn't screw it up worse.
Anyway, good luck with your hunting season. I bet you can get it figured out. I'll be looking forward to your pics.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I'd ask the Dr. I just had mine removed in January. I had two pretty bad flair ups before the 2016 hunting seasons, but was determined to put it off until after my Coues deer hunt. In my case I knew what I ate to cause the episodes, so I was super careful when, what and how much I ate. I lost about 20 pounds. It's amazing how being afraid of enduring about 6 hours of excruciating pain makes you stay disciplined :) For me eating too much before going to bed was the trigger, along with rich,fatty foods of course. (Both times it was on a Sunday evening at 1:00am until about 7:00 am.). It ended up working out, but it is a lot better to have it removed on a planned surgery, than waiting too long and needing an emergency procedure. It can be dangerous or even life threatening in some cases, due to infection or if it leads to pancreas issues. I'd definitely explain your situation and listen to your Dr.
The recovery was longer than I planned. 6 weeks is recommended due to the fact that they cut through the muscle in 4 spots (very small incisions though) and could herniate if you strain too hard before they heal enough(ie. moose packing) The hard part is I felt pretty good rather quickly, but it's real important to limit lifting. I kind of over did it due to all the snow to shovel this winter and it set me back a couple times. I'm probably lucky I didn't screw it up worse.
Anyway, good luck with your hunting season. I bet you can get it figured out. I'll be looking forward to your pics.

I had mine removed a few years ago and the above is pretty much the same thing for me, except the hunt part.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
When it comes down to it you have to make a educated decision, your health or hunting.

You can always go hunting but if you don't have your health then you can forget about hunting.

Do what the doctor says no matter what tags you have or how long it took to draw them.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
Your health is first and foremost. I don't know how it works in your state but in NV if you turn a tag in within the allotted time period you just get your bonus points re-instated. They don't just give you a tag the following year you have to apply in the draw like everyone else.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Your health is first and foremost. I don't know how it works in your state but in NV if you turn a tag in within the allotted time period you just get your bonus points re-instated. They don't just give you a tag the following year you have to apply in the draw like everyone else.
Wyoming is different. If you have a medical emergency or can't physically go because of it, if you turn it back in before season, they will guarantee you the same tag for the same area next year as you wouldnt kill one this year. My buddy drew a sheep tag one year and broke his arm, they said he could turn tag in and go next year, stubborn Nam Marine still went broken arm and all and still shot his sheep! LOL. I just think they do it for moose,sheep and mt.goats though. not for sure on elk,deer and antelope.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Not a gall bladder surgery, but I had a hernia surgery done when I was 21 years old, 13 years ago. I'm pretty sure the location of the incisions are fairly similar. I was in perfect shape, and young..... and I couldn't stand up straight for about 2 weeks, and honestly wasn't ready to go back to work at 6 weeks.
Any time they have to cut through your stomach muscles, you're gonna be a wreck for quite some time.

fackelberry

Aug 27, 2013
Wyoming
Thanks for all the info guys. Quick update. Talked to the Dr. office today that will be doing the surgery when time comes. Doc is out on Vacation til tomorrow but got consultation appt. with him the 30th. The Doctors office said it would be around 3 weeks before really any heavy lifting and it all depends on the person also and what i'm exactly doing and for how long. I didnt know what was exactly wrong with me before i found out my gall bladder was going south. I have only had a few flare ups, if thats what they are called in the last 3-4 years. The worst was about 10 days ago, it was pretty painful for about 30 minutes, then went away. Glad it wasnt like said before above for 6 hours, holy crap! I just thought i had bad gas or indigestion. I think this last one was from this new high-rev coffee i had about 15 minutes before the flare up. Needless to say i don't drink that no more. The other flare ups havnt been as bad and they might only happen once every 3-4 months. So not often at all. Anyways the lady at the office was looking at my ultra-sound pictures and the notes said i have layers of stones and that my gall bladder is diseased. She said it will definately have to come out but the doctor will look and decide what he thinks is best. If i do it at end of Aug. and wait til Oct. i will still have 30 days to rifle hunt moose, which i think will be fine still. I can have up to 12 weeks of paid leave from work so thats not a problem there, i just want to shoot my damn moose! HAHA. Thanks again for the info guys, i will let you all know what doc says next Wed. And if i have to have surgery so be it, maybe i will use my paid leave money to pay you guys to pack the moose for me! LOL

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I agree with the above, take care of your health first.
Mine went on for a couple years before the two bad episodes, It wasn't bad enough for long periods of time to make me give in and go to the DR. and find out what was going on. I also thought it was just indigestion until the first nasty one hit. I ended up in the hospital that night. The next one I just toughed it out, because I knew what was going on (most physically painful thing I've experienced). I was very cautious with my diet after that one. After the ultrasound they said I had thickened walls on the gall bladder and multiple stones. I felt good within a week or two after surgery, but that made it easy to overdo it and I did. If you can enlist some packers, October should be a blast :). Hope all turns out well, Good Luck!

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
you just have to decide what is more important to you , your life or a moose hunt.
if you choose the moose hunt. I wish you the best of luck. ditto if you choose life.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
I had problems with my gall bladder for over 10 years before it was removed (thanks to my military health care). By the time mine was removed it had ruptured many times and it had adhered to my liver. My attacks lasted many hours and were a result of sepsis from the bladder having ruptured - it's not fun to lay in the bath tub with everything coming out of both ends or your body for hours at a time. Personally I'd say that if you are careful with your foods and how much you eat you've probably got a lot of time before your situation becomes seriously life threatening but I'd definately follow your doctor's recommedation. My surgery was done laproscopicly (almost had to resort to the old way of removing my bladder because of it being stuck to my liver) and my recovery only took about 4 or 5 weeks.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Dang. Good luck, brother. Err on the side of caution for sure, especially since you know you can have the tag replaced next year.

shootbrownelk

Veteran member
Apr 11, 2011
Wyoming
My wife had her gall bladder removed early in July, she still can't bend over or lift much of anything. She has a long list of foods she can't eat anymore...fried anything is the worst. Turn in your tag and go next year Bud. If it ruptures while you're out hunting miles from anywhere, you'll be in a world of hurt. My wife was in terrible pain for a full day before surgery, it happened on a Sunday.

rammont

Oct 31, 2016
Montana
That's the worst part, I can't eat peanut butter anymore and that was my favorite snack. French fries at fast food places kill me too. Fatty foods mainly will be off your menu unless you don't mind cramps and quick trips to the bathroom.

MTHusker

Apr 22, 2013
I just had mine removed on the 7th of July, my wife had been after me to get it checked out for almost 3 years, but I am bull headed. Finally one night I thought I had food poisoning, but then terrible pain on my right side, so much so I thought I would pass out. I went to the hospital early Friday morning, went into surgery thinking I would be out the same day, no such luck, taking mine out required a 9" incision on my right side, several days in hospital. Much better now, I have been pretty much back to normal for a couple weeks. If I had not put off getting checked out, I probably would have been out the same day as surgery, maybe next morning for sure, but putting it off was not what I should have did. They actually could only get 90% of it out of me, some is still inside. The surgeon sent it into get it looked at when it was pulled out....they found gang green in the lining...not the wisest decision making in my life.