Super Raffle Proposal

HayHay98

May 22, 2012
Wyoming
This should generate some interesting discussion! I cut and paste the below directly from the G&F PDF which is posted on their website under funding.

Super Big Game /Trophy Game Raffle
A bill has been approved by the legislature’s Travel, Recreation, Wildlife, and Cultural Resources Committee for consideration during the 2013 general session that would establish a raffle for Wyoming big and trophy game hunting licenses. Currently, two types of raffles are proposed. A “Super Tag” raffle would provide the chance to draw a bighorn sheep, moose, mountain goat, bison, elk, deer, and antelope license. One license will be made available for each species and winners for each license will be selected through an independent drawing. A second raffle, the “Super Tag Trifecta”, would allow the one winner to select up to three different licenses from the preceding list of species.
Winners of both the Super Tag License and a Super Tag Trifecta License would be able to choose to hunt in any open hunting unit in the state for the species for which their license(s) applied, during an established hunting season with one exception. Both “Super Tag” and “Super Tag Trifecta” licenses would not be valid in any moose hunt area which has a total quota of ten or less, or a bighorn sheep hunt area that has a total quota of eight or less. Winners of either raffle would not be subject to lifetime restrictions for mountain sheep and bison licenses or the 5-year waiting period for bighorn sheep and moose. Also, preference points would not be lost for any species when the hunting license was acquired through winning one of the raffles.
If the bill passes in its current form, raffle ticket prices would be set by the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission through a public rule making process. Both residents and nonresidents can participate, the number of tickets that can be purchased is not limited, and individuals could participate in both raffles simultaneously. Tickets for the “Super Tag” and “Super Tag Trifecta” are proposed to be sold between January 1 and May 1, with the drawing and notification of the winners no later than May 15 of that calendar year. If the bill passes, the raffle would be implemented in January 2014.

30Hart

Aug 30, 2012
Utah
Good to hear they took some of our input to generate revenue like Montana and Utah are doing...can't imagine winnning the trifecta...that will generate some cash!

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
Not a big deal as long as the Dept is doing it and they keep a tight reign. We have auction and raffle tags here also. A limit on the qnty of raffle tickets a person can buy would be my only suggestion. We don't do that here and some winners get familiar.

cali_hornhunter

Jun 17, 2011
Red Bluff Ca
CA does something similar where you can buy raffle tickets for 5.20 a piece for a antelope tag (lassen zone) Desert Bighorn tag or North eastern elk tag and a deer tag that you can use any season for any hunt

canvsbk

Apr 8, 2012
Michigan
I like it. But that's just me. I guess it does leave a few questions unanswered.....but surely there's someone of some importance paying attention to this

sjsmallfield

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Jackson, CA
I don't think it is a bad thing as long as you put a limit on the tickets like was mentioned above. That way it keeps some guys from spending thousands of dollars and buying crazy amounts of raffle tickets.

Wyohunter

Mar 6, 2012
I don't think it is a bad thing as long as you put a limit on the tickets like was mentioned above. That way it keeps some guys from spending thousands of dollars and buying crazy amounts of raffle tickets.
The whole idea is to get as many people to spend as much money as possible.

crumy

Jun 19, 2011
Laramie, WY
I like the idea because of the revenue it will generate. Maybe things like this will keep them from raising prices as they proposed.

trkytrack2

Sep 13, 2011
Sterling, Colorado
I don't see them getting it past the Wyoming legislature. The good old boys are anti gambling up there. Just across the state line south of Cheyenne is where the largest number of Colorado lottery tickets are sold.....millions and millions of dollars worth bought by residents of Wyoming (the most sold in the entire state of Colorado). The citizens of Wyoming have tried two or three times to get their own state lottery started in Wyoming because of all that money they spend goes to Colorado but the legislature has voted it down every time. Not much chance of them approving a raffle for the G&F.