Sub .30 vs .30 cal?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I see the sense in that. I suppose as a guide he does what he thinks will work.

How does one put themselves in a position to engage a charging brown bear with a 9mm? That sounds unhealthy.

Edited to add: Just read the story. Damn lucky folks there. That dude is one cool customer. Would be interesting to see what happened to his pulse rate during this episode.
No idea about his pulse rate, but to pull that off he had to be very mentally calm. Be interesting to hear what he said about it and how he ended up with a 9mm. He's clearly highly experienced with bears and intense hunting situations.

I was "charged" once by a cougar, I think I was probably more in the way of the chosen escape route, but stopped him about 18-24" from me. Happened so fast it was just rote muscle memory. Practice, practice, ...

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Tim, I think you wrote about that cougar before, but refresh my memory...what did you stop him with?

That had to be scary. I've never seen a wild cougar but I wouldn't want one on me. I bet they could make you look like you'd been through a shredder in a matter of seconds!

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I have seen a grizzly killed with a .270 win. I have killed elk with 270wsm(love that gun) but I will keep using my 338 for elk.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Tim, I think you wrote about that cougar before, but refresh my memory...what did you stop him with?

That had to be scary. I've never seen a wild cougar but I wouldn't want one on me. I bet they could make you look like you'd been through a shredder in a matter of seconds!
30/30. Happened to have it muzzle down and my thumb by hammer, only time to thumb back hammer and shoot from the hip. Would have never got off a shot if it was a holstered pistol or rifle on my shoulder. I would not want one on me either, the thing was about my size, but has bigger teeth and claws than I do.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
We brought our .300 Win Mag home today. Looked at Tikka, Winchester M70, and ended up with a Savage 111. Our other rifles are Stevens 200 so this fits in well. Has a Nikon scope and two piece mounts which we will change out to a DNZ one piece and a Leupold VX3. Have a Karstens cheek rest and a Harris bipod for it as well.

Our big decision is what to do about a brake. Leaning towards a Kahntrol bolt on. Any advice?

Last edited: