Sub .30 vs .30 cal?

Daubs

Aug 5, 2016
Nebraska
I was on limited budget when I decided on a 30-06 some fifteen years ago. I'm left handed, so options were limited. Decided on Browning A-Bolt in black synthetic stock.

A year later I won two fantasy football leagues, and found a beautiful Winchester Model 70 in 7mm MAG. I think i gave $625 for it.

The -06 has served me well. Can't complain. The 7 has only been to the range...it's so good looking I can't bring myself to taking it in the field. That changes this fall when I take it to chase Muleys.

Catahoula12

Very Active Member
Apr 26, 2013
Colorado, was Az.
I have to say shoot what you shoot very well and stick with it... In my case I own both .270win and 30-06sprg. Both I shoot very well comfortably. The .270 I shoot 140gn Accubonds and the 06 gets 165gn Accubonds... Both have taken deer and elk with singles shot. I get the long range hunters if that's what you are into. But then again a 100gn broad head will ruin a deer or elk's day.. Lol

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
Like most on this forum, I have a variety of guns, and use different ones for different critters. All my elk have been with a 338, and all were DRT. I use a 7mm-08 for MN deer, and a 30-06 for mule deer. If I had only one rifle though, it would be the 30-06, primarily because the ammo is cheap and readily available. I do reload, and 30 cal. bullets are varied and numerous. I have just upped my stockpile of Remington Core-lokts because of the rebate and only cost me $14 a box. That translates to a lot more shooting, which builds skill and confidence.

Welchji

Jan 18, 2017
Southern AL
I've just started hunting but have been shooting competitively for over 15 years. From that back ground, I like the 6.5 Creedmoor. Hits a ballistic sweet spot in the 6.5mm caliber. Excellent ballistic coefficients helps buck the wind and retain speed/energy down range. Higher sectional density helps with penetration. Modern case design sends the projectile out at the same, if not higher, speed as the 6.5x55 swede, but does so in a short action.

In the competitive shooting world, Brian Litz has a big influence as the chief ballistician at Berger and founder of Applied Ballistics LLC. He has published several books & articles on the ballistics. One of my favorites is titled "Whats wrong with the 30 cal." Can be found here: http://appliedballisticsllc.com/ballistics-educational-resources/articles/

All that being said, when I buy my first dedicated big game hunting rifle later this year, it is going to be a 30-06. I'm confident in the 30-06 being able to take any North American game, which is my goal. I've even seen the results of it taking a Kodiak Brown Bear. The 6.5CM can be a little tricky to find. I want to be able to walk into a local sporting goods store/gas station and buy ammo if the airlines/TSA don't agree with ammo in my checked baggage.

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
When I rifle hunt elk I pack a .300WM, I use a 25-06 for everything else. I just bought a 280AI just to meet somewhere in the middle. Haven't shot it yet to give an opinion, although I'm sure it will do anything I ask of it, as will my other two rifles. I'm not a long range shooter so it's splitting hairs for me.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
I've got a 300wsm, 270 wsm and 7mm -08. They all shoot really nice. I've killed deer and elk with the 300wsm and deer with the 7mm -08, but I always find myself grabbing the 300. It just plains shoots for me!! Haven't even varied the 270 wsm on any hunts. Don't even know why I have it!!?? Just in case, I guess!! Lol

mtncowboy

May 10, 2014
WY
Sub 30 cal for me. I like the confidence gained in rounds shot and I can have much more fun doing that with a sub 30 cal weapon. I have had excellent results on all size animals using the little guns.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
on a side note, kind of funny, sub 30 and .30 cal are all small bores...

338, 375.... medium bores...

.416, 458..... big bores....

Might be splitting hairs, but I think many of us have no intention of shooting past 500yds ever, so BC's don't matter as much...

a 270wsm shooting 150grs needs more barrel length than a 300wsm shooting 150grs, I know the 30cal 150 doesn't have the SD the 270-150 has but again, both will do the job, in fact the 150 from the 300wsm is likely moving faster than the 270-150.

Not giving up a whole lot, but when the talk is under 500yds, and barrel length I think say 300wsm shooting 150grs may have more benefit than the 270wsm shooting 130 or 150....

Conrad8899

Oct 15, 2011
Casper Wy
I am a 300 wm guy... I know a older guy here.. That use to use a 270 win years ago. He now use a 338 wm.. I said why U need a elephant gun.. He said I got tired of tracking elk... No more tracking with the 338... I shot my cow elk this year.. Archery range close... She was quartering away at 60 yards.. She was not running... But she was getting out of dodge. After the shot she only went 40 yards.. Shot with a 210 berger... Chest cavity was nothing but mush.. I am convinced they cant take the grenade effect to the chest cavity... It seams to take the wind out of them...

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I am a 300 wm guy... I know a older guy here.. That use to use a 270 win years ago. He now use a 338 wm.. I said why U need a elephant gun.. He said I got tired of tracking elk... No more tracking with the 338... I shot my cow elk this year.. Archery range close... She was quartering away at 60 yards.. She was not running... But she was getting out of dodge. After the shot she only went 40 yards.. Shot with a 210 berger... Chest cavity was nothing but mush.. I am convinced they cant take the grenade effect to the chest cavity... It seams to take the wind out of them...
No need to use a cannon on elk. Shot placement is the key. A .270 does just fine on elk.

Conrad8899

Oct 15, 2011
Casper Wy
A 300 wm is a cannon? I never said a 270 wouldn't kill elk... The older gentle men never said... The 270 didn't kill elk... Just tired of tracking elk...

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I too hate recoil and am reminded of a quote from a famous Alaska Bear guide. Phil Shoemaker: "Anybody who says the .30-06 is inadequate for big game hunting is inadvertently commenting on their own marksmanship." That may not be the exact quote, but it is close... He's covering big bears and moose, so I'd suggest the same applies to the 270 and elk. He's actually OK with his hunters using a 270 for big bears, with him as back up. I have no interest in brown bear, but if I did my 30-06 (180 TTSX) or 280 (175 partition) would be the tools of choice for me.

Relative to elk and 270's, put a decent bullet where it belongs and they fall over. But to each their own, the key is field accuracy and terminal performance of the bullet. If you can do that with a 300gr. pill from a 338 Lapua, great, am sure it will work just fine and in many cases even drop him a little quicker, but won't kill any deader.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
Phil also has killed a charging grizzly with a 9mm pistol. I wouldn't recommend it myself. I'm sure a .270 in the right spot with the right circumstances would be fine, especially with Phil backing you up. He likely has seen too many who could not handle the recoil of large caliber rifles and make bad hits. A good shot with a .270 is better than a lousy one with a .375.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Phil also has killed a charging grizzly with a 9mm pistol. I wouldn't recommend it myself. I'm sure a .270 in the right spot with the right circumstances would be fine, especially with Phil backing you up. He likely has seen too many who could not handle the recoil of large caliber rifles and make bad hits. A good shot with a .270 is better than a lousy one with a .375.
That's one cool customer and a heck of a shot. There are other quotes of his that validate your reasoning, including the fact he's there as backup.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I see the sense in that. I suppose as a guide he does what he thinks will work.

How does one put themselves in a position to engage a charging brown bear with a 9mm? That sounds unhealthy.

Edited to add: Just read the story. Damn lucky folks there. That dude is one cool customer. Would be interesting to see what happened to his pulse rate during this episode.

Last edited:

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
I thought that guy looked familiar. He was in an Outdoor Life article awhile ago. Went back and read up on him online. I remember him specifically because of the .458 Winmag rifles in the story. I found one for sale, a Ruger I believe, but couldn't convince my wife that we needed it. I agree, probably my don't need it, but I sure do want it.

We are only buying a .300 Winmag because it is a good deal. I think I would be just as happy with 30/06 or 7mm.