string mowers

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I am getting tired of using the hand held weedeaters .anyone here ever had much use for a string mower to clear their property of tall grass ,weeds and light brush. was considering buying one for my properties tree line .

ground is somewhat uneven and rocky and roughly about an acre of land with tall grass, canadian thistles and twigs perhaps as big as 1/4 inch. mostly smaller . am interested to see how they worked. were you impressed ? disapointed ?
is it tough to maneuver them on uneven terrain??

I generally only cut it about twice a summer. . second time is generally fairly easy because it dries out after first cutting.
the one I am looking at are the DR pro XL or the DR PRO XLSP self propelled . reading some reviews ,people claim the self propelled is less the addequette which is why I a undecided between the two. cost difference is not really a factor but some reviews say they prefer the push to the propelled.

any first hand insight would be much appriciated.

Last edited:

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Have used a craftsman push on tall weeds and grass and it did good. It really didn’t like sticks, similar to a weed eater in that aspect. I’ve heard of people putting the metal weed eater blades on them and they chew stuff up than.

Reactions: kidoggy

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
I use one on both our properties. I think they are pretty handy. I have a Craftsman and a Toro, both work well. They won't cut tough brush, but work well on Knap weed, thistle ect. The strings are much quicker to change than a hand held.
We also use them to maintain around the bee yards in the mountians. I don't think you'd be disappointed in one.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
really it seems the canadian thistles are the hardest on my handheld weedeaters sticks are fairly light mostly just a volunteer tree here and there which I usually just cut with a snipper if the weedeater won't cut it. I try to get it done before the thistles get to big but don't always get it done before they are waist high.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
We use a combination of herbicides and trimmers. They both get used on our places. The push trimmers are super handy and are the best option on our public ground bee yards