Steens hunt

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
I have been meaning to get these posted of my Mule hunt in the Steens this past October. Awesome country and really great hunt. Was exceptionally warm with hi elevation temps in the 60's. saw plenty of Doe's and Antelope and unfortunately nothing with a set of antlers other than the tiny forkies playing at our camp ground. Enjoy

Attachments

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Often deer hunting in Oregon is camping with guns. It's a bummer that the deer numbers are so low you can't even find a good buck in country like that. Good job not gunning down the tiny forkies, most shoot what ever is legal, one of the problem with the population IMO.

Last edited:

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
I spent 10 days hunting with my father so it was really great regardless of the hunt outcome. Yes I would hunt it again and frankly reassess my whole approach to the area. I know what to expect now if weather is warm like it was and with the number of hunters finding a spot and staying put would have probably been the smartest move. there is so much country to cover you can go nuts. I feel there was enough pressure had I stayed put the hunters would have pushed something out.

Also I missed not going there during the spring, summer and early fall to scout. in this sort of country it would have paid off. For my first mule hunt though I think it was awesome and I learned a lot.

Topgun 30-06

Banned
Jun 12, 2013
Allegan, MI
I was just in the Beatys unit with my Wyoming buddy last year just west of where you were. He had a OIL sheep tag and got a decent one on the 6th day of his hunt. That country is nothing like I thought it would be and has some real elevation changes to say the least! We stayed right on the border in Denio while we were out there.

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
Thanks for posting the pics and sharing the story.

I went out of my way to drive through that way on my way home this year.
Actually planning on returning for a long weekend for camping (scouting) in the spring!

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I have been meaning to get these posted of my Mule hunt in the Steens this past October. Awesome country and really great hunt. Was exceptionally warm with hi elevation temps in the 60's. saw plenty of Doe's and Antelope and unfortunately nothing with a set of antlers other than the tiny forkies playing at our camp ground. Enjoy
I recognize most of those spots. We were in awe when we went there for the first time. Looking forward to doing some shooting with you this summer.

My brother and I are planning on putting my oldest son and his oldest daughter in for steens this year if they are up to the challenge. We believe 4 tags in that area is a waste. We think we can guide them to a couple like we got in 2012 with a some good scout trips and a little luck.

Travisitguy

Sep 9, 2014
Bend, Oregon
Totally agree

I recognize most of those spots. We were in awe when we went there for the first time. Looking forward to doing some shooting with you this summer.

My brother and I are planning on putting my oldest son and his oldest daughter in for steens this year if they are up to the challenge. We believe 4 tags in that area is a waste. We think we can guide them to a couple like we got in 2012 with a some good scout trips and a little luck.