Starlink

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Was cureous if anyone was using this for their internet access and what your opinions are. Ive had a deposit for a while and was on track to get service this fall but sounds like that might be delayed due to the Ukraine invasion.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
The company I work for has one just as a test, it's setup just a few miles from the Wyoming Montana state line. It gets about 50 Meg down 10ish up, it's capable of descent video streams. If you can get fiber, New wireless, cable, or twisted copper VDSL is not worth it. We're 5-10, maybe even 20 years away from the technology needed to make it really good.

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
Shortly after I posted this, I received my equipment. I'm going up to the cabin on Sunday to try it out. I'll try to remember to provide feedback.

Reactions: mallardsx2

buckbull

Veteran member
Jun 20, 2011
This was extremely easy to setup. I only hooked up temporarily to see how it would work. I haven't decided if I'm going to permanently mount the "dishy" outside or simply take it outside when I'm there. Leaning toward later. I forgot my laptop to determine what kind of throughput I can get with my vpn into work. I did try a few of the streaming apps I have all seemed to work fine. I did a few speed tests, below are the results. Seems to be pretty inconsistent; not sure if thats normal.

Attachments

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
This was extremely easy to setup. I only hooked up temporarily to see how it would work. I haven't decided if I'm going to permanently mount the "dishy" outside or simply take it outside when I'm there. Leaning toward later. I forgot my laptop to determine what kind of throughput I can get with my vpn into work. I did try a few of the streaming apps I have all seemed to work fine. I did a few speed tests, below are the results. Seems to be pretty inconsistent; not sure if thats normal.

View attachment 39928

View attachment 39930

View attachment 39931
Thanks for the update!

taskswap

Very Active Member
Jul 9, 2018
Colorado
I got one briefly and it was great but I returned it. My primary intended use was for our RV. Early beta testers reported good results using it on (stationary) vehicles, but they've locked that down so you can only use it within a half mile or so of the registered service address. They're supposed to come out with an RV-specific version in the next year or two, so I returned the one I got and will wait for that version to come out. Looks like a great product though.