Spring turkeys

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Missouri Turkey season finally opened today. I called three off the roost, and straight in.. I usually try to get some photos before the kill, but these guys came in too fast, and with that many eyes, I didn't want to risk it. After I shot, the other two birds stuck around and gobbled like crazy. I was able to snap a few pictures after the shot.

I love me some spring gobblers!

DSC_0225.jpgDSC_0239.jpg DSC_0220.jpg

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Matt- Can't you kill like a 100 turkeys a season in GA, or is that Alabama? Technically I'm done for the first week, but I'll put my wife on a bird this weekend, and I always have more fun doing that than I do shooting my own.

Matthoek21

Veteran member
Mar 18, 2011
Peachtree City, GA.
Fink...yeah basically in GA you could. The limit is three but we don't have to tag birds here, so basically only if you talk too much would they find out. I personally have never killed more than 2 in a season but know people who have killed more than 3. Also we do not have a fall season like y'all. But we can kill 3 in one day and be done if that opportunity comes unlike MO. Either way I agree with calling birds for family...it's way more exciting. I called one in last year for my 8 yr old. That was real cool. Good luck the rest of the season.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
congrats on your harvest.

There has been a tom gobbling in my yard for a couple of weeks. I imagine he will fight himself every day this summer in our basement window. he did last year. I personally just don't see why people think these birds are so smart.

idaho allows 5 turkeys a year, but the price of tags is to much money to deal with.

Old Hunter

Banned
Dec 28, 2011
Buena Vista, Co.
Turkey hunting sounds like so much fun. I can't believe I haven't tried it yet. We can use a shotgun, or a bow for spring turkey here. Too late this year, but i'm getting a longbow to try for next spring. It's probably a long shot, but i'm going to have fun trying. They give us a whole month to get it done. Just another reason to spend a month in the mountains. :)

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
congrats on your harvest.

There has been a tom gobbling in my yard for a couple of weeks. I imagine he will fight himself every day this summer in our basement window. he did last year. I personally just don't see why people think these birds are so smart.

idaho allows 5 turkeys a year, but the price of tags is to much money to deal with.
Tim- I'd never consider a turkey smart.. Paranoid as hell, yes.. But smart, nah. Their brain is about as big as a walnut after all. But, they are fun to hunt, they are loud, and sometimes come willingly to the call.. Living in Missouri, I like to think of spring turkey hunting like hunting elk during the bugle... Only a little different :)

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
fink

I want to make sure there was no disrespct in my post. There wasn't meant to be any.
I have heard people comparing calling spring turkeys to calling for elk. I can't make that conncection. But who cares. do what you like and like what you do. I personally wish the turkey tags where cheaper. Than i might think of helping thin the vermon. But unfortuanty around here turkeys and houses go hand in hand. The turkeys are routinely 10 feet away. granted i am in my house and they just outside the window.

i will say though, that having them roost right behindmy shop is kind of cool. sometimes i change what i am doing, so not to scare them, but most times i dont worry about them.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
Hey Tim- I know you meant no disrepect, and I agree with you that they aren't all that smart. They are just paranoid birds with big eyes that see everything... And, they can't figure out how to cross a hog panel fence.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
fink

I want to make sure there was no disrespct in my post. There wasn't meant to be any.
I have heard people comparing calling spring turkeys to calling for elk. I can't make that conncection. But who cares. do what you like and like what you do. I personally wish the turkey tags where cheaper. Than i might think of helping thin the vermon. But unfortuanty around here turkeys and houses go hand in hand. The turkeys are routinely 10 feet away. granted i am in my house and they just outsi

de the window.

i will say though, that having them roost right behindmy shop is kind of cool. sometimes i change what i am doing, so not to scare them, but most times i dont worry about them.

You should get yourself a sling shot around Thanksgiving and bring one of those INside.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
got woke up this morning by a couple of toms gobbling. One was fighting it self in the dining room window. Hope he don't break the window. So i scared him off. he went to another window to fight. This was at 6:00 am.