Spring bears

1shot7mm

Dec 26, 2013
I've been thinking about hunting spring bears in Wy this year, but i have never been in Wy at that time of year. What would be a good guess as to when you can get up some of the forest serivce roads, or do you just park and hike up in the snow pack? any thoughts would be welcomed. It's been a LOOOOONG winter!!!!!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
western wyoming? from what ive heard the snow pack is way above normal but thats not allways a bad thing for spring bears, they wont wait for the snow to be gone before they move out in search for food. right about now most of your bears are getting antsy for some fresh spring greens and winter kills. let us know what part of wyoming and im sure one of our "cowboy" state friends will chime in. with lots of snow still in the mountians those bears will come down really low to get that green grass. logging roads logging roads logging roads and south facing slopes and creek bottoms where the ice has broken off. ps.... bring snow shoes

1shot7mm

Dec 26, 2013
Ivorytip, I've been hunting elk south of Bondurant, over by the Cliff creek drainage. I have a spot up high that I always find bear track in the late fall. Thought this may be a good area, but its 8 mile back-in on forest service road. Could bee quite a hike in deep snow. I like to snowshoe though!!

bdjmtn

Jan 5, 2013
Michigan
Lots of glassing the green areas and evenings are always best. I have been a few times and usually had one opportunity in a week just spot a stalking.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
that is some of the most beautifull country in america. there is alot of snow back in there as far as i know..... not sure when the bear hunt in wy opens but in idaho its april 15th and most years theres still a several feet of snow in the bear coutry in middle april but if you can find some blm at some lower el, you could do well if ya find some open pockets near alot of timber. i wish i could help ya more but ive only hiked in that area never actualy hunted it.

1shot7mm

Dec 26, 2013
Thanks for the info,guys. I talked to a guy a few years ago about scouting this area in June and he advised to bring chains, shovel, and a good phone, because the road would not be in very good shape. Probably just have drive in as far as possible and then let the boots hit the trail.

WY ME

Very Active Member
Feb 4, 2014
Wyoming
Most of the snotel sites are reading 145 - 185% of normal in western WY right now. You won't be driving up any forest roads for a looong time. Normally some roads open May 1st. Three winters ago (a big winter) the Forest Service didn't allow travel on the roads by my house until June 15th.

Click on this link to check out the area you're looking at.

https://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=http://www.wcc.nrcs.usda.gov/ftpref/data/water/wcs/earth/snotelwithlabels.kmz&sll=45.467836,-108.446045&sspn=5.369953,8.712158&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=4