Spotting Scope

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Decided to get a new spotting scope and would like your input on angle versus straight. Have always had a straight scope but I am looking at a angle one this time. What's your thoughts?

rjroberts15

Jun 8, 2016
CA
In my opinion, The angle scopes make looking up hill alot easier, but are a little more difficult to look down hill.
With the adjustable tripod heads can eliminate that.
I think the angle ones are less strenuous to look thru for me because you are looking down into the scope.

I have a straight Leopold and the next one I buy will be an angled one.

Work2hunt

Veteran member
Mar 2, 2013
St. Louis, MO
I like my angle spotter when on a tripod. However, if you will be glassing from a window mount you want a straight as the angle is a pain from a window.

NE69

Jan 6, 2013
Southwest Nebraska
I have straight and angled. I actually like the angled from a window! By rotating the scope and window higher or lower, I can glass a wider angle and less stress on the neck. It is a little tougher getting on a critter with the angled, but the more I use it the easier it is.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
If your used to a straight stay with a straight.

It's very difficult to change, at least for me. I tried the angle but went back to the straight. It's much easier for me to put a straight spotter on a target. The angle just screws me up. I guess it's because the spotter is pointed directly where the target is.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
I'm a straight guy too.
I think more important is you choice in spotter.
I have the small Leica and for me , it is the
Cats azz.
It's been around and has been a great spotter for me.

mcseal2

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
midwest
I have a Swaro STM straight 65 and an ATS 80 angled. I'd trade the ATS for an equivalent STS, I like the straight better.

droptine

May 19, 2014
Minnesota
I have the vortex razor HD 11-33×50 with the vortex summit tripod and love it. It's compact and easy to pack around.

minn elk chaser

Jan 6, 2014
Why is it that every time I want something it is so hard for me to decide if I have to choose one over another. All your comments are appreciated and thank you for them. I guess it would be easier if we could have one of everything.

hoshour

Veteran member
Angled is a lot easier on the neck when doing a lot of glassing because you are looking down.

A straight scope is more intuitive and easier to aim and pick animals up, especially on a window mount and at distances that are not way out there. It also fits easier in a side compartment of a pack.

If you are pointing a straight scope at all higher, it soon gets very hard on your neck. A taller tripod helps some. I have a tall tripod and a straight scope, but I think most experienced guys that do a lot of glassing prefer angled.

480/277

Very Active Member
Feb 23, 2013
I do my glassing with Binos
I use the spotter for short duration to check something
I found with the binos.

Gr8bawana

Veteran member
Aug 14, 2014
Nevada
I also have a straight spotter. Since I rarely look downhill at anything an angled spotter would be much better. Like others have said I usually have to raise my tripod pretty high to make it high enough when looking uphill at a steep angle.

Caseyu

Aug 27, 2012
Reno, NV
I think everyone nailed it. That's the issue... Everyone uses equipment a little different. What most people do the same is prioritize. If you take all the comments and add them up they are easy.
If you intend to use the spotter off a tripod and look at level or higher elevation that your vantage point go with the angled. With that you will need to practice on acquiring the target, which just like anything with a little time you will get very good.
If you intend to use the spotter looking down or possible from a window mount, or maybe for just analyzing an animal vs glassing. Maybe the straight is for you. I sure wish we could just have everything, but most of us can't. Best of luck :)
With that. I have used both and once I had the angled spotter figured out I was not going back. I spend a lot of time behind the glass, both binoculars and spotter on the tripod looking at all different levels. Most angle spotters rotate, and almost all tripod heads pivot making it easy to use while looking down (with practice of course).

dirtytough

Feb 15, 2012
Washington
I've always owned an angled spotter. I'm not understanding why it's hard to look down hill with it? I see two benefits to the straight over the angled. Like said if using a window mount a lot. Or if you use your binos on a tripod. Swapping between binos and spotter on the same tripod I'm always having to adjust the hight of the tripod which annoys me. Otherwise I believe the angled is better. I will never go to a straight spotter. Angled is just better unless you are a truck hunter.

Regards, Branden

graybird

Feb 22, 2011
Colorado
I started with a straight, purchased an angled spotter, sold it and now back with a straight.

I think I'll stick with my straight moving forward.

mtncowboy

May 10, 2014
WY
My old scope was a straight and my new one is angled. I have zero problem finding objects with the angled, in fact I am every bit as fast at getting on target with my angled as I am the straight. It is much easier to look through the angled. I took two people into the high country this year that had never really used a spotting scope. I picked out some sheep above us and they couldn't hardly see through the straight scope. When I set up the angled scope they had zero problems, throughout the rest of the trip they fought over the angled. I have a hard time deciding as well, but I am super happy that I went with the angled.