Spotter Help

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
I'm in the market for a spotting scope. I've never owned a spotting scope but will be needing one starting this year for my first archery antelope hunt in WY. I could have used one last year on my first archery mule deer hunt which I am doing again this year. My budget will not allow for a Swarovski so I'm looking at something like the Vortex Razor HD 11-33x50 because of its size and ability to carry easily in a pack. What is a reasonable distance to be able to spot an animal and tell if it's worth chasing with an 11-33x50? Would the extra weight/size/cost of the Razor HD 22-48x65 be worth it? Thanks for your opinions.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Depending on distance, the 11-33x will probably tell you if it's worth chasing, but not if you are an inch counter, unless fairly close. Antelope are very difficult to judge for me and many others, so more power is usually better there, 20x60 is not too much.

But for one do it all spotting scope, myself, I usually prefer something in the 15x45/16x48 x 60/65 size ish. I find what I'll call the mid sized ones, most useful most of the time, vs the smaller and larger options. Assuming you have decent bino's, 10x, using them on a tripod will help a bunch, so I'd power up my spotting scope well beyond 33x, and get a tripod adaptor for my bino's and hunt away.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Not to knock spotting scopes but how often do you expect to use it or is it a once or twice type of thing and then sell it?

I would perhaps look into a better pair of binoculars instead of a spotter if you only plan on using it just a couple of times, I know a lot of hunters that purchase one and then it gathers dust for years after their one hunt. And if your budget is tight then I would look at a better pair of binoculars even more.

If you are still set on a spotter then I would look a lot more at a 15x60 and a real good tripod. That tripod can cost you almost as much as the spotter but if you are out in the wind then you don't want something that is going to be wobbling around when you are trying to look through it.

LaHunter

Aug 24, 2012
N.E. LA
I had a Vortex Razor 65 mm spotter for 3 years and used it mule deer hunting. The terrain that I typically hunt in WY calls for a spotter, at least I prefer to carry and use one. I was happy with this spotter, especially for the price. I did sell it and upgraded, but I felt that this was a good mid price range spotter.
As far as the size, I think the 65 mm size spotting scope is a good compromise between weight/bulk and performance.
A solid tripod with a decent head is necessary to get the max potential for your scope. Promaster and Slik are a couple tripod options that are made of carbon, so they are light wt, and stable. I have been using the Promaster 525 for the past 4 years and have been happy with it.
Just remember, atmospheric conditions will have a big impact on your spotter performance. For example, warm and/or humid days can have lots of mirage, limiting the quality of your view through your glass as you try to crank up the magnification.

Hope this helps and good luck.

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
I had a Vortex Razor 65 mm spotter for 3 years and used it mule deer hunting. The terrain that I typically hunt in WY calls for a spotter, at least I prefer to carry and use one. I was happy with this spotter, especially for the price. I did sell it and upgraded, but I felt that this was a good mid price range spotter.
As far as the size, I think the 65 mm size spotting scope is a good compromise between weight/bulk and performance.
A solid tripod with a decent head is necessary to get the max potential for your scope. Promaster and Slik are a couple tripod options that are made of carbon, so they are light wt, and stable. I have been using the Promaster 525 for the past 4 years and have been happy with it.
Just remember, atmospheric conditions will have a big impact on your spotter performance. For example, warm and/or humid days can have lots of mirage, limiting the quality of your view through your glass as you try to crank up the magnification.

Hope this helps and good luck.
Thanks, for me it's a piece that will get used on multiple hunts per year that will also be annual hunts starting this year. I like to get off the roads and hike but I like to hike with a purpose so that's where the spotter comes in. Because of the hiking I want to carry it in my pack. All my hunting will be in WY or North Dakota so mostly dry conditions. Because a lot of my hunting will be on very open parries and rolling hills I don't want to be underpowered but don't want to lug around unneeded weight if the 11-33 will suffice. I have a nice pair of 10x binos but those just won't get it done for this. Once I get set on a spotter I'll be back asking for tripod recommendations.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
Add me to the list of guys interested in getting spotting scope this year, but who is also on a budget. I know the OP mentions antelope and I don't want to change the course of his thread, but wonder if there is a good, general purpose setup for western hunting (elk, deer, etc)? (appreciate much JimP, Tim, LA's posts)

Anyone aware of any good old threads tackling spotting scopes?

Regards,

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
Add me to the list of guys interested in a getting spotting scope this year, but who is also on a budget. I know the OP mentions antelope and I don't want to change the course of his thread, but wonder if there is a good, general purpose setup? (appreciate much JimP's post)

Regards,

When you say general purpose what would be the primary use? Mine is 75% pack, 25% truck. I will also be using mine for elk but on a very limited basis because how and where we hunt is heavy timber and not spotting scope friendly. But we do have spots to glass small areas from camp.

Horsenhike

Very Active Member
Nov 11, 2015
Eastern SD
Was out in this site looking at a new tripod mount for my bino's and stumbled onto his optics reviews of the 11x33 you are considering. I've learned to trust his judgement and thought this review may be of use to you. http://blog.sandsarchery.com/vortex-razor-hd-50mm-review/

His analysis of low light performance is really important. We carry around a Leupold fixed 25X with a 50mm objective. Early and late it is dim.

Have it on an aluminum transit tripod with a photography ball head so it weighs almost nothing. Seems perfect, but there is no arguing that a smaller objective makes for worse low light performance.

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
When you say general purpose what would be the primary use? Mine is 75% pack, 25% truck. I will also be using mine for elk but on a very limited basis because how and where we hunt is heavy timber and not spotting scope friendly. But we do have spots to glass small areas from camp.
I have been on only 1 western hunt for mountain mule deer, on it, we hiked up high most mornings and sometimes evenings to glass for game on the mountain sides and down in canyons/draws. My experience is thus very limited and I am really just getting started on doing this on my own. I would say for me, I am looking for something I can pack and use in conjunction with my binos to get a closer look-if that makes sense-to glass from a high spot for elk and deer.

Flyforfun

Jan 23, 2017
I have been on only 1 western hunt for mountain mule deer, on it, we hiked up high most mornings and sometimes evenings to glass for game on the mountain sides and down in canyons/draws. My experience is thus very limited and I am really just getting started on doing this on my own. I would say for me, I am looking for something I can pack and use in conjunction with my binos to get a closer look-if that makes sense-to glass from a high spot for elk and deer.

That's my intended use. I think I'm going to order both vipers and see if the weight is really that noticeable. I'm not as concerned about low light as getting a good picture from long distance, and ease of packing it.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Also keep your eyes open for used scopes on forums and CL.

Guys are upgrading all the time and some high quality used glass can be found at par with prices of new vortex glass. Some of the older lecia 60mm scopes are going for around 1000 and with that wide angle eye piece they have that would be a great option to look into.

With that said my next optics purchase will pry be a pair of swarvoski 15x56...

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Add me to the list of guys interested in getting spotting scope this year, but who is also on a budget. I know the OP mentions antelope and I don't want to change the course of his thread, but wonder if there is a good, general purpose setup for western hunting (elk, deer, etc)? (appreciate much JimP, Tim, LA's posts)

Regards,

I'm no optics expert, but have accumulated what works for me. I am convinced the odds of me dropping and ruining an optic increase with price. I seek near top level performance for a lower price, and tend not to upgrade much.

I'd also get a tripod adaptor for my bino's, makes a yuge difference. This is one someone shared on EF a year or so ago. http://www.fieldopticsresearch.com/shop/Tripods--Accessories.htm/shop/RapidRelease/p/RapidRelease-Binocular-Tripod-Adapter-sku-A001.htm The link I shared earlier in this thread is SandSArchery, they sell it too. I'm moving to it for my bino's this season.

So...

Really depends on the budget. A viable low budget spotting scope option I've used is Nikon. I bought my son a Nikon 16x48x60 a few years back. They were closing them out and replaced them with the prostaff line. The current equivalent is the pro staff 3 16x48x60 I believe. It does fine for 95% of the glassing we do. Small enough to pack and light enough you can get by with an inexpensive tripod. Will the $600-1100 Vortex spotters do better in resolution, detail, dim light, yep. For a hunt a year or two for a few years, nothing wrong with the Nikon or the like. Comes with a tripod for $325 ish, may watch for a sale and bet one could find it well under 300 w/o tripod. I suspect Leupold, Bushnell, etc. have similar options, and Nikon/Vortex/ etc. have the several levels of performance above it too, 600-1200 stuff.

Were I looking mid level, 600-1200..., I'd compare the Vortex's mentioned earlier to some of the 60 and 66mm Kowa options, if they are price competitive with the Vortex. Not sure if they are in the $ range, but Kowa is top rated by bird watchers. They do not get much hunting play, but most reviews have their best ones equal to or better than the big 3, almost always for less. Bird watchers know optics... I've got an ultralite they used to make, under 1 lb., 10-30x, crappy fov and dim light issues, but stellar optics. It has saved me some walking a time or three.

Myself, I tend to shoot for 95% ish of the performance of the top rated optics, for 1/2 - 3/4 the price. I don't need to pick a rack apart, I just need a quick view of the frame and a few points and I make a shoot/hike or not decision. It's why I have some Minox, Optolyth, and old B&L Elite optics. I think the Vortex Viper scopes are in this category, just a guess, upper middle ish level? Have not tested it, but the Nikon I mentioned is probably 90% of the performance for 1/4 - 1/2 the price.

As I said earlier, for a single spotter, I lean to the 16x48, 15x45 power level with 60-65mm objective. If most of my hunting was mountain backpack style on foot, then the 11x33x50 size would be calling my name. Hope that helps.

Micah S

Jan 11, 2016
Sandy Oregon
If weight is a concern I'd look at Leupold gold ring and Kowa. Vortex spotting scopes are very heavy and there optics are just ok. I'd also suggest to stay away from 50mm spotters there low light performance sucks.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Anyone have any experience with the Cabelas Krotos HD 15-45x65 scope?
Nope. But some say it's a Vortex product. You might see if the look, function, specs etc. matchnup. At one time, maybe even now, Meopta made some of their optics, were branded as Euro something or other iirc.