Spot Hogg Boss Hogg

zachbow

Feb 21, 2011
Arco, Idaho
I am looking at the Boss Hogg and the Black Gold Ascent. Read the reviews about the Black Gold so lets hear what you think of the Boss Hogg.

wolftalonID

Very Active Member
Mar 10, 2011
Idaho
I use the 7 Deadly pin Spot Hogg, a bit smaller and shorter, but if your a steady hand its awesome to shoot with. Spot Hogg makes an amazing site, and they are nearly bullet proof, although, my small boys have discovered how easy it is to pull the filements out when I am not looking, so I have had to put in new ones now twice. :(

zachbow

Feb 21, 2011
Arco, Idaho
Yeah I have had 3 Spot Hogg sights and have been shooting the SDP for 2 years now and love it. Just thinking about shooting a slider and was wondering about their slider sight.

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I have a friend that has a boss hogg, and his only complaint is that the sight was heavy, that being said he is going with an ascent this year, spot hogg makes a very strong sight, as does Black Gold. I just got my ascent yesterday, and I don't know if you could break the fiber optics on them the way they are made

twp1224

Mar 6, 2011
Central Coast
+1 on being heavy. I shoot the Spott Hogg SDP now, but had a Extreme sight before. The Extreme sight weighed about half of what the SDP does. I sacrifice the weight for quality when it comes to my shooting equipment though

I have a friend that has a boss hogg, and his only complaint is that the sight was heavy, that being said he is going with an ascent this year, spot hogg makes a very strong sight, as does Black Gold. I just got my ascent yesterday, and I don't know if you could break the fiber optics on them the way they are made

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Only my 2 cents worth here... They are bomb proof sights, however, the Tommy Hogg may possibly be a better choiche for you as the weight is reduced a little. I cut 1.5" off of my gang and used a dremmel to cut out un-needed pieces of metal off of mine... Problem I had was a touch of lean to the right in the bow, which my hand muscles would compensate for to get leveled up, so it would torque... After shooting it a bunch, I was able to work around it and I shoot fine now... Have since mooved back to a 7 pin Hogg It Hunter so I don't have to think about all these factors when shooting... I love their sights... Wouldn't dream of shooting anything else but that's just my opinion... Good luck with your choices Zach...

Idabow

Mar 9, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
I use a spot hogg hunter with the seven pins. I like how easy the sight is to adjust and they wire in the center of pins really helps dial the 3rd axis. I am not sure if the black gold has a third axis adjustment, but I wouldn't hunt without it. As for the weight, ya its a little heavier than most but there ways to ver come that. You could use an offset stabilizer like the fuse sidekick, or put a bracket on the bow that wil offset you stabilizer for you. Hoyt has also built this offset into their new bows the carbon element/matrix and the CRX 31/35. I dont use an offset I just sot a lot and got used to it. The bonus to the spot hogg movable sghts is you can go 1, 3, 5 and even 7 moveable pins. I shoot the straight 7DP because I am to scatter brained and always forget to move my sight.

Jarred

May 22, 2011
Can't speak to the boss hogg but I currently shoot a tommy and it is phenomonal. Very easy to tune, adjust yardage, and seems to be very, very durable. Yeah it's heavy but it's a good trade off for me. My only complaint with the sight is that shooting with a quiver attached makes it hard to adjust the yardage but this could be different with boss.

Deadeye

Feb 21, 2011
I use a Boss Hogg single pin slider, and love it!!! Bombproof. Easy to adjust, it does weigh a bit more than most sliders, but it is so simple. I use an archery software for it, The Archery Program to be exact. And after you get all the required information entered, it is a breeze to make fine adjustments to your sight tape. I'd suggest it.

SDbowhunter

Feb 21, 2011
Winner, SD
Seems like lots of guys on here use Spot Hogg, well so do I, the Hunter 7 pin is the best sight I've ever owned, bullet proof as well, and I do love how easy they are to adjust. I like solid pins because there have been many times I have been pinned down and wouldn't have been able to move my pin if I had a slider.

powellpounder

Apr 7, 2011
I use the 7 pin while the wife shoots the 5 pin. They are bullet proof. I was looking at a moveable but like SDhunter said i just don't know if I could be able to move the pin. but thats me. I still love the movable pin idea just can't talk myself to switch before more hunts this year.

Joe Hulburt

Mar 14, 2011
Oregon Coast
I am fascinated by the devotion the Spot Hogg people have. I picked one up once and it was ridiculously heavy for something I would put on my bow! Granted, I understand they are tough, but in 26 years of bowhunting I've never had a sight fail and I used a few cheep ones back in the day. Do a lot of you have trouble with sights letting you down?

I think it's great they have a happy following I just find it interesting how differently people can approach their equipment.

Graylight

Apr 27, 2011
Southern California
Zach... Whats up brother ;) Hey, I wanted to chime in here but to be honest, the Boss is a little heavy for hunting... The Tommy works well in place of it if you really want a slider sight... IMO Spot Hogg is THE BEST out there... I just know how hard you hunt and it can effect not only front end bow weight but also canting... The extra weight will have you canting your bow and necessitating the use of a counter balance satbilizer... If you don't do that, you will be compensating in your grip and upon release, you could notice your groups falling apart... Have no idea if that WILL happen to you but it did for me :)