Sportsmans backpacks

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
This subject may have already been covered has anyone bought their new pack wondering about quality and all day comfort I have a elberstock dragonfly but it pulls on my shoulders and neck was hoping a ridged frame might be more comfortable.

Middle Country

Nov 7, 2017
I know this isn?t a cheap option but I went all in on a stone glacier xcurve. Adjustable lumbar pad, shoulder straps that are independent and can be tilted in or out. I don?t have a crazy tall torso length at 18.5? but I was better off finding something at rei than a hunting store.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
Same experience with Dragonfly. Works great with very light loads. Heavy loads I was very disappointed in the performance. Your shoulders will suffer with heavy loads.

Currently, I use it mostly for basic hiking or camping although it was originally intended to be used as my hunting pack. Works great for these uses as long as I keep the loads light (15-20 lbs MAX).

I changed packs and have been very happy.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
Sorry I broke my leg after the post and forgot about them until now .what pack did you go with I’ve been thinking about the outdoorsman pack around550 with tax there are 4 different options that I like about that pack but it’s too pricey just to take a chance I cannot get any feed back on it from the G.P.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
And yes I just use my dragon fly to pack my hunting clothes and gear into ,easier to load into truck and I just put cold weather gear in it ,undies and socks plus solar panels, electronics batteries extra. Makes it easy to throw in truck and keep things organized. I keep it for a spare ,I have a day pack I like to use but not big enough for an overnighter I don’t think I could sell it and get any money out of it.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
Now you guys have me wondering as I use my Dragonfly for my heavy loads. Packed out an elk with it this week in fact.

I am not much of a backpack expert so maybe I just don't know what I'm missing.

az.mountain runner

May 22, 2012
Mesa Az.
How did your neck and shoulders feel at the end of the? Could be just me or my body shape but I’ve tried keeping all the heavy stuff in the middle and a the back but everything seems to be like a 50lb. Sack of potatoes hanging on my back not fun at all.

Slugz

Veteran member
Oct 12, 2014
Woodland Park, Colorado
How did your neck and shoulders feel at the end of the? Could be just me or my body shape but I’ve tried keeping all the heavy stuff in the middle and a the back but everything seems to be like a 50lb. Sack of potatoes hanging on my back not fun at all.
AzMR,

Its not fitting you correctly at all or not adjusted correctly on you....ie all the straps tightened in the correct order so they can do their job. I suspect also they type of pack. I went to an ultra light frame this year and kicking my self in the arse for not doing it sooner.
Kifaru, Exo, Kuiu & Stone Glacier would be the ones I'd try on.

I ended up going the Kifaru route after having a fitting session at their shop.

HighPlainsHunter

Mar 1, 2018
Laramie
They can certainly be sore but I try to put as much weight on my waist as possible with the belt. I did play with adjustment when I got it and had to move it a bit to make it fit right. I have never tried packing a heavy load with any other backpack so I really have nothing to compare to. It's certainly not fun packing 80+ pound loads so if there is a better style for packing I'm interested. I actually think I may have a pack frame I purchased many years ago in the attic. Loaned it out and it got slightly damaged and I never ended up using it. I may have to dig that out as I have now had four heavy loads in my dragonfly this year and that may be an option worth trying.