Southern Wyominig - Early Winter Deer Kill

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I'm friends with a guy who lives in southern Wyoming and he told me that fawns are dying left and right due to the frigid temperatures last week.

Is anyone else seeing this? He said its a sad state of affairs.

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: Prerylyon

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Where specifically in Wyoming? All the deer look great around Cheyenne, I was in the Snowy Mts a week ago, looked great the too.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The further West and South seems to be what has struggled the last few winters. Unfortunately the vast majority of us only get snapshots of a unit every season let alone a complete picture so it is really tough to judge based on a couple of reports. Same basins two weeks apart can even be tough to judge. When the mortality reports come out after people walk multiple areas counting winter killed deer is when I tend to get concerned.

Long term management wise I am really excited to see how all of these studies on mule deer migration are going reveal. I am hoping it helps us set dates and quotas based on what is actually going on rather than a lot of assumptions about where deer are moving from.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
The further West and South seems to be what has struggled the last few winters. Unfortunately the vast majority of us only get snapshots of a unit every season let alone a complete picture so it is really tough to judge based on a couple of reports. Same basins two weeks apart can even be tough to judge. When the mortality reports come out after people walk multiple areas counting winter killed deer is when I tend to get concerned.

Long term management wise I am really excited to see how all of these studies on mule deer migration are going reveal. I am hoping it helps us set dates and quotas based on what is actually going on rather than a lot of assumptions about where deer are moving from.

Reactions: Bonecollector

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was quite a ways further north in the Bighorn Basin last week around Hyattville and all the critters I saw (deer, antelope, elk) looked to be in great shape. I'm no expert in ecology, but much of the browse (forbs?) on the winter ranges on the BLM looked to be ample as well. Its still early though. It was brutally cold up there around the last week of October; so much so I pushed my hunt out a week for more sensible weather.

ScottR

Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
It was cold earlier this week on our side of the basin. We had a really wet spring though and forage looks to be in really good shape.