Southeast Montana scouting update

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
Hey all Montana Muley hunters. I have been out in SE Montana for the last four days visiting freinds, we were able to go drive around scouting his deer areas every night. It was very exciting. Mostly from roads, we saw lots of deer and some really nice bucks. My buddy has lived there his whole life and says it's one of the best years for bucks he has seen. Lots of mass on antlers, and good genetics.
I am going to be hunting a different area, but it was such a good feeling to know the herd is healthy right now. Most bucks were on public land, but the biggest buck was on private land. Still cool to see.

We even saw a few bucks gathering does and sparring, one big 3 pt. Was chasing a doe hard already.

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
I will be back on November 4th to an area near there. Can't wait. What area are you hunting?? I will be near Ekalaka. I have about 3000 acres of private to hunt this year.

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Hunting antelope/deer near Harlowton right now. Mule deer does n small bucks everywhere! Will be hunting deer south of Broadus starting Monday.
Can't wait!!

TimberJunkie

Feb 13, 2015
Central Point, OR
I love that Broadus area, last time I was there was 2004 and the deer pops were way down, so glad to hear, they have a healthy population. Good luck to all of you, may your hunts be safe and successful.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
South and a bit west of Ekalaka. Predominately mulie country, however I'm hoping it may be a sleeper for white tail. Having said that, a good for the area MD probably won't get a pass.
We leave Sat. for the same area, second year same spot. It was somewhat of a sleeper for WT. last year, IMO anyway, but the big ones are real tough in that open country. Nothing huge, but some nice ones were seen. For open country WT, I just shoot the first legal one I see, I love to eat them...

kesand72

May 5, 2013
Joliet, Il
Just tagged out on a decent 4x4 in Broadus area!
Bucks hanging out in bachelor groups n many doe groups with baby bucks scattered around.
Feel great after getting skunked on antelope n elk N of Harlowton....