South Slope Diamond Mtn

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Miracles do happen! I drew a tag at Hunt Expo this year- Any legal weapon South Slope Diamond Mtn. Anyone hunted here? Excited to have a decent deer tag for once! 🎉🎊🎉🎊

I'm guessing that means it's the same as a Multi Season tag but I won't get the official info until March it looks like. Good news is my schedule is flexible and Ill have some time to devote to it. woohoo!

TIA!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I hunted that area years and years ago, one big problem is that there is a lot of private. At the time that I hunted it the land owners didn't care, but that changed over the years when new and old owners found out that people will pay for access. I believe that there is even a CWMU out there that you need to stay away from

A any legal weapon means that it is the general season and not multi seasons. You can use any legal bow, muzzle loader, or rifle on the hunt

Reactions: GOSHENGRUNTER

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Congrats. That is a great tag.

68% of the unit is public land.

From everything I have read you should be a bale to kill a good buck there if you put forth some effort.

I applied for that last year.

This year I would have had a 1.1% chance on drawing the archery tag. lol

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
A any legal weapon means that it is the general season and not multi seasons. You can use any legal bow, muzzle loader, or rifle on the hunt

Jim,

Even though there is no general deer season for that unit? Seems to me it would be a multi-season permit?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Jim,

Even though there is no general deer season for that unit? Seems to me it would be a multi-season permit?
While there is no general deer season for that unit the hunt will run the same time as the general season deer hunt does in the rest of the state which is 10/22-10/30 and that is the Any Legal Weapon Hunt

There is a multi season permit for that unit but that season says Multi-Season hunt.

Any questions you can look at the Utah Big Game Application book

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Just got back from this hunt. I'll post the whole thing on the success thread page. Horrible road conditions limited me to about half the unit. I found a ton of deer but only 2 mature bucks. This was the bigger of the two. Fun hunt...but dear Lord...I can't imagine burning 17 points for this tag. Tons of elk. Quite a few hunters.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
That looks like the kind of deer that you would expect from out there.

On the amount of points that it takes, there are a number of LE deer hunts in Utah that really don't have the potential for 180+ bucks. They have the 160-170 class and will turn up a larger one but don't expect it. The Utah Book Cliffs is one such unit. Quite a few 160-180 bucks but not very many 180+ ones. I have seen a few that were well over 180 but very few. The Vernon unit is like the Book Cliffs as far as deer size.

Now if you do want a chance at a huge buck you need to go with the Henry Mountain's or the Paunchaguant units.

About Eastmans'

• Eastmans’ is a three generation media based hunting company whose goal is to promote the pursuit of elk hunting, deer hunting and all western big game. Our mission is to educate and entertain along the lines of bowhunting and rifle hunting to provide sportsmen with the most up-to-date tactics, hunting gear and hunting area research for both archery hunting and rifle hunting in the West.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Follow us on Facebook