Something more to ponder during application periods

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
This is the way it should be and if I was a NR I'd be happy about it.
Season tag quotas are set around the 20th of April, why would you want tags issued for areas in February before the winter is over and the biologist gets to adjust the tag allotments for each area?
Two different cases that I personally know of over the last couple years when NR applied before season were set, first one was area 7 type 7 cow tags weren't on the books until April about 4-5 years ago, after the NR draw that year so NR got zero chance to apply for them, the second and I don't remember the year, but after the NR draw the tag quota across the state changed in April and would have given NR roughly 300 additional LQ tags in various different hunt areas.
So, long and short want your tags sooner? Or want all the tags you could possible get? Or even worse want the G&F issuing a bunch of tags in an area that could get decimated in March and should have tags drastically cut, but still give way to many in February to NR's?

Personally I'd rather the biologist get to do their job first, then we get to get our tags based on what actually happened that winter. I understand the frustration of waiting longer, but your waiting longer for a better product.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
Looking at those who have to put tag cost on a 21% card for up to 5 months. The total cost would be about $250.00. Plus the added cost forced to use the card. You could be looking at adding up to $300.00 total cost to a elk tag for some. Of course I all ways pay my balance before the due date. I still have to pay the convenience charge for using a card even though there is no other option.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If you are carrying a balance on your CC because of a animal tag you are a fool.

I watch forums all the time when on post pay applications they use a debit card and when the draw happens the card is rejected because of not enough funds on it.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Looking at those who have to put tag cost on a 21% card for up to 5 months. The total cost would be about $250.00. Plus the added cost forced to use the card. You could be looking at adding up to $300.00 total cost to a elk tag for some. Of course I all ways pay my balance before the due date. I still have to pay the convenience charge for using a card even though there is no other option.
[/QUOTE]

If an individual can't pay for their tag up front and has to borrow money, they shouldn't be applying for a tag period in my opinion. This is how a lot of the millianials have gotten spoilled in the have to have it NOW, can't afford to pay cash for a tag of your debit card, WAIT.

Reactions: JimP and Prerylyon

Prerylyon

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2016
Cedar Rapids, IA
I think with the increased demand for these tags-and I believe that the demand for western big game tags is high right now-driven by more mobile non resident hunters, TV shows, social media; the states with these resources have realized they have a product they can market.

They need to have some balance between the game management objectives they hope to achieve, in order to keep it all going; but at the end of the day, they know they have a product we want, and their neighbors to the south, north, etc. do as well.

Certainly the locals will know more about the politics pushing this than me, but from my outsiders view, it looks like a way to drive more sales of their 'product', which I can't fault them for. It adds additional twists, intrigue, and interest; if nothing else...😆

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
The whole situation gives me anxiety....lol Literally I feel it building before Christmas and it never leaves my system until I am killing fish in the spring. I have this fear of not drawing anything every single year. I dont know how the heck some guys try and try and try for years....

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
While I much prefer to get the full allotment of non resident tags, and appreciate the later draw date to obtain those tags, I find it very annoying that the application deadline was not also moved back. Keeping peoples money for over four months is inconsiderate at best..

That being said, your credit card interest rate is an APR, so your 21% card, on a $1,268 balance over the course of 4 months would be closer to $80. $100 over 5 months.

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
While I much prefer to get the full allotment of non resident tags, and appreciate the later draw date to obtain those tags, I find it very annoying that the application deadline was not also moved back. Keeping peoples money for over four months is inconsiderate at best..

That being said, your credit card interest rate is an APR, so your 21% card, on a $1,268 balance over the course of 4 months would be closer to $80. $100 over 5 months.
I was figuring the min payment in that amount. I guess that part would not be extra cost. I forgot to tell everyone my major was not in math either. Also by now most have figured out not in spelling as well.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
I see no reason to have a deadline of Jan31st or whatever, and then a drawing 3.5months later.

I don't know why Wyoming can't walk and chew gum at the same time...

app deadline of say march 30.... and drawing by april 30th... easy enough for everyone.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I see no reason to have a deadline of Jan31st or whatever, and then a drawing 3.5months later.

I don't know why Wyoming can't walk and chew gum at the same time...

app deadline of say march 30.... and drawing by april 30th... easy enough for everyone.
they could do that and it would be easier . problem is they wouldn't get to use your money for those extra months.
don't think for a second that wasn't the reasoning behind the change.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS!

Reactions: HuskyMusky

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
they could do that and it would be easier . problem is they wouldn't get to use your money for those extra months.
don't think for a second that wasn't the reasoning behind the change.
IT'S ALL ABOUT THE BENJAMINS!
I hear ya.
Honestly if they only want $$$$, just make all tags 1 price, non-resident pricing! or in-between!, the $$$$ increase would be insane!
simple math, issue half the tags....so pressure just went down 50%, charge the non-res fee, we'll assume 10x, for simple math, that would create 500% increase in revenue with half the tags issued!

Not saying they would do this...or even should...but if it's really only about the money, why wouldn't they? sure residents would hate it, but they'd have 5x the revenue... more money is more money.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'd suggest every NR make a stand against the WGFD, do not apply for any tags or buy any points. Show them whos boss!!! You don't need Wyoming's animals, you probably have better hunting in your home state...

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
I'd suggest every NR make a stand against the WGFD, do not apply for any tags or buy any points. Show them whos boss!!! You don't need Wyoming's animals, you probably have better hunting in your home state...
I understand you’re being scarcastic and understand your resident position but if this really happened things would change in a nano second 😁

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I thank god I live in a state that has all I need and more.. Wyoming or the rest of the world for that matter, offers nothing I need.

Big Chief J

Feb 25, 2016
Texas
I agree! All NR should boycott...except my brother and I will secretly apply. ;)

Reactions: kidoggy

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
The change was to ensure RESIDENTS got their full 84% required by statute. NR have received their allotment of 7,250 full price Elk tags every year. Some years, when a quota was increased for a specific hunt area, there may have been some NR LQ tags that weren't issued, but there are hundreds of nr LQ tags that don't get issued because nr simply don't apply for them. The nr quota of 16% has always been available to nr. Residents on the other hand were being shorted when quotas went down or NR party apps were filled with addl tags. The new dates will ensure residents get their required 84%, and NR will get their correct ratio of LQ/GEN tags.
WYOGA told the Commission that the NR Elk results had to be before the Antelope/Deer draw because unsuccessful NR would then flock to the A/D draw and there would be an increase in revenue. The Commission bought it. There are pages of NR testimony against the proposal, included in the notebook they get prior to the meeting and I doubt a single Commissioner read any of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Chief J

lostriverproductions

Dec 27, 2011
Goshen IN
Its going to change my process this year, not because of the later draw date. That has zero effect on me, you shouldn't be applying for tags you cant pay for up front, its financially directionally wrong.

I was planning/hoping to draw my WY tag, but if the odds weren't in my favor, I was going to go for a different tag, Wy was going to be my front runner this year.

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho

If an individual can't pay for their tag up front and has to borrow money, they shouldn't be applying for a tag period in my opinion. This is how a lot of the millianials have gotten spoilled in the have to have it NOW, can't afford to pay cash for a tag of your debit card, WAIT.
[/QUOTE]
heel I thought buy now ,pay later was in the DNA of every American, not just the millennials. max out a credit card … no problem... just get another one! :LOL:

Reactions: mallardsx2

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I had a friend who did that. Between him and his wife they maxed out three CC's and then paid them off with a 2nd mortgage on their home.

It wasn't 4 months later that those CC's were maxed out again

kidoggy

Veteran member
Apr 23, 2016
idaho
I had a friend who did that. Between him and his wife they maxed out three CC's and then paid them off with a 2nd mortgage on their home.

It wasn't 4 months later that those CC's were maxed out again
yeah I know lots of folks who do that. have one buddy who bought a new powerstroke , a new f-150 and a new snowmobile all in one year about 7-8 years ago . he refinanced his house and then bragged about how all three were already paid for.

I just laughed and said ,"no they're not ."

not sure he understands to this day , that he is still paying for them. but hey, ignorance is bliss! ;) :D

Reactions: mallardsx2