Some advice on eastern Montana

Swedishhunter

Jun 24, 2016
Hi guys,

Looking at a deer and antelope trip this fall to eastern Montana. I would bring my sons and perhaps my dad too. We are looking for a good time in beautiful country, trophy size is less important. We have no bonus points for Montana, but it looks like we will have access to private land in 700 that holds both antelope and deer. Early November should overlap both deer and antelope season I think.

Here is my current thinking. Would appreciate any advice from you sharpies if I am overlooking something when it comes to the tags:
1. Apply for the General Deer combo tag in March. I expect we will all draw those
2. Apply for antelope 700 NR tag. Looks like about 30% draw last year, but I think the population is recovering so hoping for better odds this year. Even if not, with a few guys I am hoping someone will draw antelope
3. If available, we may also apply for B-tags, either deer or antelope. I assume the antelope ones would have same deadline as the general tag (June 1) but how about deer B, do they open in March or later?

Sound like an ok plan, or am I missing something? Thanks in advance.

gonhunting247

Veteran member
Jan 21, 2014
Sounds like a solid plan to me. That's how I run it every year almost, with the exception of the B-tags, which I've never applied for, so not sure about those!

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Last year they put out 3,500 MD doe B tags, for 7, after the draw iirc. Not sure the exact #, but 3,500 is rattling around my brain for some reason. It took them quite a while to sell and not sure if they sold out or not. They were listed on the web site, first come. We picked up two.

Swedishhunter

Jun 24, 2016
Last year they put out 3,500 MD doe B tags, for 7, after the draw iirc. Not sure the exact #, but 3,500 is rattling around my brain for some reason. It took them quite a while to sell and not sure if they sold out or not. They were listed on the web site, first come. We picked up two.
Thanks, do you remember the timing?

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
Thanks, do you remember the timing?
I think the draw deadline for them was in June, and it seems like we bought them around early Sept? I'm just not sure. I saw them on a left over tag list, they went from 3,500 to 1,500 pretty fast. What I would do is see if they offer 3-4 thousand region 7 B tags again. If they do, put in for the draw or play the left over game after. Not sure what the winter has or has not done in 7 so far.