Solar charger vs. powerpack

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
Jon Adam's "Don't leave tech behind" article on the front page is exactly what I have been wondering about. I just upgraded to a smartphone and I am trying to figure out if a solar charge is worth the hassle and expenses as opposed to a high mAh power pack (something that has 9000-11000 mAhs on it, good for 3-4 charges). I generally out in the back country for less than a six day period, and I don't plan on having my phone running the entire time.

What is everyone using to keep their electronics running in the back country?

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Good thread....I was just wondering the same thing today. I have a power pack from Verizon that is really awesome. But I'm not sure its up to a trip over a 5+ day period. My phone is almost 2 years old and the battery life is horrible. I'd really like some feedback on a solar charger unit. That may be the ticket for extended stays away from a power source.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I use an Anker Astro 5600 mAh. It weighs about 4 ounces, and will charge my iPhone 2.5 times. Going in with a fully charged battery would allow you 7 days, if you only used 50% of your battery each day.

Caseyu

Aug 27, 2012
Reno, NV
I use a new Trent battery pack. Imp1000 is the model. Can't remember the weight off hand but light and I can get 5-6 charges on iPhone 4

Last edited:

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
No cell service where I hunt but if brought my phone I would opt for a power pack. They are easy to carry and easy to pack.

IdahoSkies

Jan 18, 2014
Southwest Idaho
Well, I went with the New Trent PowerPax Xtreme (in orange, like to be able to see it if I set it down some where), 1200mAh power pack. I have ten days of backpacking starting on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes when I return.

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
Well, I went with the New Trent PowerPax Xtreme (in orange, like to be able to see it if I set it down some where), 1200mAh power pack. I have ten days of backpacking starting on Monday, I'll let you know how it goes when I return.
Hey man....just a heads up. 1200mAh won't get you much. Mine is 4000 and I get about a charge and a half out of it. I'd hate for you to get on your trip and need an emergency charge and not have it. Good luck!

I looked at a 15,000 mAh unit this morning on amazon that had really good reviews. I think I'll buy it today. Id

Cobbhunts

Veteran member
Jan 22, 2014
Kentucky
I just looked that New Trent unit up. Its 12,000!!!!! Now we're talking. Let us know how it goes please. I was concerned when you said 1200. In really interested in its performance.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
I have a small Goal Zero solar panel, it will only bring my Iphone up to about 60%. It is good for recharging AA's and AAA batteries for my Gps- just not enough oomph to fully charge the Iphone. For the phones the power packs appear better. My Iphone battery life is really poor in marginal to nonexistant cell areas when it is searching for a signal. God bless ya'll

tttoadman

Very Active Member
Nov 16, 2012
Oregon
I have tried to work with the goal zero panel, but i think the battery pack is the better way to go as long there is an end in site to your hunt.

npaden

May 2, 2014
Planning for a trip with some video equipment and I opted for the battery packs over extra batteries for the cameras as well. An extra battery for the video camera is 1,940 mAh and costs $70, plus they are backordered about everywhere right now.

I ended up buying 2 of the Anker Gen2 13,000 mAh powerpacks for $60 including shipping. Not quite as easy as having a spare battery to swap out when it gets low, but the powerpacks will charge up just about anything I'll have out there. My point and shoot camera, my POV camera, my phone and the video camera. They weigh next to nothing as well. I'll just have to stay on top of keeping them charged up when we sit down for lunch, back at camp in the evenings, etc. since I won't be able to just swap them out when they get low. They have multiple USB ports so I could charge up my phone and the video camera at the same time.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BQ5KHJW/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They get really good reviews as well.

Last edited: