So What Is Coyoting Out?

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Caching is what we have done in low water areas. We left three gallons from an archery trip at the top of a hill we planned to camp at in rifle season.

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
never really hunted anywhere where there wasnt a spring creek or river within a mile or two. filtration systems are awesome. and coyoting out is not having ur big motor home or camper with ya:cool: i think thats called glamping..

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
never really hunted anywhere where there wasnt a spring creek or river within a mile or two. filtration systems are awesome. and coyoting out is not having ur big motor home or camper with ya:cool: i think thats called glamping..
Ha! Yeah ivory that is true and I have no camper or RV. I have done a lot of backpacking trips where you know how much water you will need (because it is a set distance and time) and exactly where water holes are if needed. Back in Colorado, we could always find a spring or a creek but this country out here is a different ball game-even up in the higher country it can get pretty dry.

I guess the real motivation behind my question was if you're chasing elk or deer herds, you might not be able to afford to break away and re-up your water without getting busted and was just curious how the pro coyotes are making sure they don't run out.

The concept is great and once I get to know these hunting grounds out here a little better, I am most definitely going to give it a whirl!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
thats awesome and sounds fun, from what ive read and have seen.... mule deer get alot of thier water via the food they eat, they can go longer periods of time without droping down to a water hole. allways amazes me when i find deer miles away from a water source. how about elk though???

mt-mike

Jul 16, 2011
Helena, Montana
Caching is what we have done in low water areas. We left three gallons from an archery trip at the top of a hill we planned to camp at in rifle season.

Here's a shot of my minimal camp during deer rifle season in Nevada. Scott's comment on caching water made me think of this camp and picture to share with you, I had scouted this area in August and packed 3-gallons of water into this location. The spot I cached the water was not a very good hiding place evidently. When I came back in rifle season the 2.5-gallon container was emptied of my water. The smaller .5-gallon container was there still full. So, I made do with the lessor amount plus what I carried in at the time. I's a mystery to me what happened to my water. I wouldn't have been too surprised to find some of it gone if an archery hunter stumbled on it and took a badly needed drink.

Aside from the water issue this little camp served me well. My timing for heading into the area was a little off in that I thought the storm was over as I packed in to the area. My plan was to have a nice evening hunt as skies were clearing and deer would be coming out to feed. Instead the storm decided to loop back around on top of me reducing visibility to zip and turned from rain to snow. Cleared in the predawn hours leaving a 2" blanket of snow. The deer were out at daylight and well into the sunny morning hours. I saw 21-bucks that morning!

Last edited:

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
thats awesome and sounds fun, from what ive read and have seen.... mule deer get alot of thier water via the food they eat, they can go longer periods of time without droping down to a water hole. allways amazes me when i find deer miles away from a water source. how about elk though???
Yeah, good question ivory; I also have heard deer get most of their water from food, especially those that inhabit drier regions and smaller deer, like coues can stay cool on less.

Elk aren't built much different except obviously larger so they have that volume to surface area thing that large endothermic mammals have to overcome so I would imaging they need more water to stay hydrated and cool...

micropterus79

Jun 19, 2014
San Tan Valley, AZ
That is a useful story mt mike and cool pic (kind of funny, but not not necessarily lol funny); definitely makes me think a little harder about the caching water idea; after hearing about what happened to your water, I guess I'd try to bury it if possible. Overall, it sounds like it worked out though!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have buried water quite a few times and have never had it go missing. I used to carry 1gal ziplock bags and fill them at the last water and bring them with me. The zips hold up very well just don't compress them in your pack. Ask me how I know!!! :)