so what do you use for lunches on your backpack hunts?

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I am just looking for ideas on lunches for backpacking. what ideas do you got?
do you snack heavy or eat a real lunch. done both.
thanks

tim

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
peanut butter and bacon is awesome! ill snack on trail mix through out day when I get hungry, something with cashews and almonds and some chocolate in it. ill save big meal for last night time before bed, mountain house chicken ribbed meat with mashed potatoes usually. granola bars always make it into my pack to and even some snicker bars. like ceby7 said though, a peanut butter and bacon sandwich is hard to beat, ill put my in-between some soft taco shells. learned that from Cameron Hanes. less space and doesn't get soggy. bagels are good too though

Wapiti_Hunter

Aug 8, 2014
Westminster CO
I put salami, pepperoni, provolone and spinach on bagels. Even when I go backpacking I use this, it may add a few ounces (very few), but I would rather have everything I need in a meal. After that I have dried apricots, jerky, and the ever so popular trail mix!

WapitiBob

Veteran member
Mar 1, 2011
Bend, Orygun
I tried peanut butter/bacon/bagel last week. Just threw the remainders away this morning. Comparable to biting off a piece of my boot sole and chewing it.
I'll stick with costco trail mix, nugo bars, and sweet/salty bars.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
I tried peanut butter/bacon/bagel last week. Just threw the remainders away this morning. Comparable to biting off a piece of my boot sole and chewing it.
I'll stick with costco trail mix, nugo bars, and sweet/salty bars.
HAHAHAHA ive thought that same thing sometimes

Timberstalker

Veteran member
Feb 1, 2012
Bend, Or
Sweet salty granola bars most of the time. I've done the bacon peanut butter thing, adding a little honey helps, but I can relate to the boot sole analogy.

wapiti66

Aug 21, 2011
Kansas
Last week we ate Starkist Tuna packs and a pack of Ramen Noodles. Finished with a couple paydays, granola bars, or some crackers. I was pleased with the Tuna packs...19g Protein, 110 Calories, and 2.6 oz. Hickory Smoked was my favorite, and they are very compact for packing. P9040354.jpg

OregonJim

Very Active Member
Feb 19, 2014
Oregon Coast
I usually carry a few power bars and a bag trail mix in case I get stuck.
I also keep a few pouches of some type of energy gel like GU, Power Bar Gel, or, hammer gel.

Bagels with some cheese and turkey work really well for a lunch that holds up on the trail.
I usually wrap a couple of the small foil pouches of cream cheese in the plastic & ziplock.

predator_master223

Sep 8, 2014
Kansas
I like to snack on Clif Bars, not the crunchy ones. Stay away from Power Bars in cold weather unless you carry them inside your coat. They'll just about break your teeth! The peanut butter and bacon are ok. I use toast instead of bagels and will mix it up with a little honey added to the peanut butter. It gets old eating them, but so does sleeping on the ground and getting up well before daylight. I use Mountain House or Backcountry Pantry for my main meals.

woodtick

Veteran member
Feb 24, 2011
Jim Bridger County, Utah
I usually have some sort of sandwich, either the PB and Honey method above, sometimes it Tuna or Deviled Ham on a hard roll. Steal some extra packets of mustard and mayo from the next trip to the gas station and those work great for light weight condiments. Then I usually wash it down with a couple beers if I take Tobi along to pack the cooler!!!

Rick!

May 9, 2014
I had Clif's and Pro bars on my last hunt. Clif's are getting the boot and Pro bars will replace them. The PB and chocolate are great and pack a good amount of calories. And no, I'm not vegan and I use the PB and bacon sandwiches for a quick 500 calorie breakfast. YMMV

http://m.rei.com/product/758664/probar-meal-bar

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
My wife makes up a batch of "Hudson Bay Bread" before I head out. You can find several receipes on line. It's easy to make and you can add your favorite nuts, etc. It is essentially a very fresh flavor-able power bar, and cheap to boot. If you want more calories, just smear on some peanut butter or Nutella. Jerky and various candy bars and nuts are the bookends.

bbright

Mar 13, 2011
San Antonio, TX
I find that the mid-day is often slow, especially early in the year, so I fix my big meal then and have something like tuna lunch packets before hitting the bag. My big meal is usually a homemade freezedried variety from www.trailcooking.com in lieu of something like MH.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Check our YouTube channel, we did a whole video on a days worth of food for backpack hunting

Eastmans' Staff Digital Media Coordinator

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
For lunch I like a large bagel with Swiss cheese, pepperoni, and salami. A string cheese, some jerky, and a little Debbie snack cake.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk