So...Colorado GMU 481

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
Looks like the group will be putting in for Muzzleloader elk in GMU 481. Other than being high, nasty, and haven for hikers. Does anyone have anything good to say about it? Sitting on 4 points and poured over data from the state, Eastmans tags and others. The best I can come up with is you can hunt elk in the Midwest...481 it is.

I'd appreciate any other comments sarcastic or not.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
I was born and live here in 481… Interesting place to grow up as w basically the biggest peaks in the lower 48 or I did not know these were giant mountains growing up = just what’s in the back yard.. Getting drug backpacking at 10yrs old on every trail well we just got used to huge mountains and very high elevations..

With that said I don’t hunt 481 as folks pound the spikes as pointed out and she is the red headed step child in the Ark drainage. It would fall in the 4-5th units around here I would choose. But then again when we could not get 49 every year or every other year we moved out of valley to hunt elk. Good luck as you will find out what conservatively 1500-2000’ of real daily elevation gain at 10k’ plus is all about…

Reactions: ithunter

ithunter

Aug 20, 2014
Southern Indiana
GMU 481 is a heck of a unit and probably the most mentally demanding of any unit I've hunted. We spent Sept. 9-16 covering as much of the unit as we could. The moon was bright, temps were high, until a cool front came through then the rain came and just wouldn't go away. We were able to get into elk a few times, though we seemed to find more moose than anything. There were opportunities at spikes but they weren't what we were looking for, though the velvet was tempting. I have eaten more tag soup by choice then most are willing to admit but we all play the game for different reasons. To me a DIY hunt is about the comradery, adventure and the chase. Is 481 and the Collegiate Wilderness full of big boy mountains, yes. Are they breath taking, absolutely. Time will tell if my travels take me back...only once have I been able to revisit a unit but even then it wasn't for the same species originally hunted.

The ability to bounce thoughts off folks like Slugz, ColoradoV and Winchester certainly helped, it was much appreciated.

Last edited: