Snakes during the season

Ran into my first rattler in Wyoming after years of Antelope hunts. Mid Sept. in Unit 73 north of Casper. Shot my buck in some tall sage and I had to search a bit to find him. In the process I got "buzzed". Being a boy from the north country of Michigan I'm not accustomed to those things. Found the buck after a slow search as I was keeping an eye open for a snake as much as for the goat.

dan maule

Very Active Member
Jan 3, 2015
Upper Michigan
Ran into my first rattler in Wyoming after years of Antelope hunts. Mid Sept. in Unit 73 north of Casper. Shot my buck in some tall sage and I had to search a bit to find him. In the process I got "buzzed". Being a boy from the north country of Michigan I'm not accustomed to those things. Found the buck after a slow search as I was keeping an eye open for a snake as much as for the goat.
I am heading there in 4 weeks. All this talk about snakes is taking some of the excitement out of it for me!

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
ticks this year are worse than ive seen them in a very long time. my poor dog Is tired of me picking ticks from him, this is with me treating him for ticks regularly. I have nightmares of those things

Vorhes

Sep 8, 2012
Cheyenne WY
I just got back yesterday from chasing antelope with a bow here in Wyoming and I almost got bit in face by a big rattler!!! I was crawling through some sage brush closing in on a nice goat when all of a sudden I see the snake coil and strike all in one motion from about 3 feet. Needless to say my stalk ended right there when I jumped to my feet and got a little distance between us. I have only been here 3 years now and this is the 9th rattler I have killed in that area.

cntryep3614

Jul 5, 2015
Newark Ohio
What area is that
I just got back yesterday from chasing antelope with a bow here in Wyoming and I almost got bit in face by a big rattler!!! I was crawling through some sage brush closing in on a nice goat when all of a sudden I see the snake coil and strike all in one motion from about 3 feet. Needless to say my stalk ended right there when I jumped to my feet and got a little distance between us. I have only been here 3 years now and this is the 9th rattler I have killed in that area.