Sleeping pads

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I just received a Neoair Medium, and I think it should be good to go. I laid on it next to my BA Air Core and they have a similar feel, and similar sound. The Neoair seems much lighter.

DryFlyGuy

Feb 21, 2011
Cody, Wyoming
Big NeoAir fan here.

I have to chuckle about the 'noise' issue. I've yet to hunt all day and not totally collapse into my bag at night. Never once can I think of a time when I even thought about pad noise.

My hunting buddy uses the BA insulated core. It seems more stout and inflates quicker, but the weight & bulk are also more substantial.

worx53

I used to use the thermarest z-style roll ups (same as folding one basically),and they worked well. Then I upgraded to a Big agnes Ins. aircore and it was way more comfortable.....but it was slippery with my marmot helium sleeping bag on it. i would end up off it during the night, and it was narrow for my body style. Then it sprung a leak and I had no repair kit. I got a thermarest insulated air style just like it but wider, my marmot bag doesnt slip off of it (different coarser outside material). And I now always have the tiny repair kit for a leak.

KimmesFarms

Jul 10, 2011
Neo Air All Season

Just picked up the new Neo Air All Season. R rated at 4.9. Will be spending 9 nights on it so I will let you know how it performs...

revcwood

Aug 31, 2011
Wisconsin
Mtnhuntress I really think you should look into the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core. i understand your thoughts about the air cell pads, but this thing is amazing and I've beat the tar out of it and not mention it's light and extremely comfortable.
Second that. It is a great pad, and very durable.

Jul 28, 2011
Fort Collins, CO
I bought the Big Agnes Air core and it is great. not much heavier than the Neoair and about 2/3 less in price. Most seem to want the insulated version, but the uninsulated version is going to insulate just as well. (the best insulation is trapped air). It compacts to a very small package. The only drawback I have found is that it takes alot of breathes to inflate. Big headrush at 11000 ft!! It comes with a patch kit that rides in the stuffsack, in its own compartment, so a pop is fairly easy to fix.

hunthighcountry

Oct 4, 2011
For the 20x48 size,
Thermarest NeoAir weight: 9oz, price:$130
BA Insulated Air Core weight: 16 oz, price:$70
BA Uninsulated Air Core weight 16oz, price: $45

All three are excellent pads at 2.5" thick, very similar in rolled up size, but there is a difference in weight.
Has anyone out there used both of these? I would love to hear your review.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have both the uninsulated Air Core and the neoair. the neoair is noticeably lighter, more compact, and a lot warmer. I also prefer the horizontal baffles of the neoair to the vertical baffles of the Air Core.

Be warned, the neoair does not come with a repair kit or stuff sack, though!

elk*hunter

Jan 5, 2012
Kalispell, MT
I have a Thermarest Ridgerest. It is cheap, bullet proof, and ultralight. I use a grey foam pad for work, I spend a lot of time sleeping in the dirt for work so I am pretty much conditioned to them. The key to comfort is picking the best sleeping spot, in my opinion.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have a Thermarest Ridgerest. It is cheap, bullet proof, and ultralight. I use a grey foam pad for work, I spend a lot of time sleeping in the dirt for work so I am pretty much conditioned to them. The key to comfort is picking the best sleeping spot, in my opinion.
I agree with the Ridge. I have one of them in my dogs kennel and it's lasted for awhile, over a year. I went to a blow up and it works well for me. But the Ridge will hold up to a lot of punishment.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I like my Therm-a-Rest Z-Lite. It folds up in sections. The 51"x20" is 10 ounces, 72" one is 14 ounces. I've had the air filled pads and just don't trust them from leaking anymore.
My Neoair stood up well this year. No leaks whatsoever, but I always have duct tape, just in case.

Drhorsepower

Veteran member
May 19, 2011
Reno, Nevada, United States
My Neoair stood up well this year. No leaks whatsoever, but I always have duct tape, just in case.
Duct tape is always a must. After sleeping on it a season, how does it compare to your big Agnes? I have a therma rest prolite 3. I just patched my first hole in it this weekend, I am thinking about upgrading. My mattress is 1"-1.5" and I want to go with either the big Agnes insulated or the neolite. I don't know if the extra money for the neolite is worth it though. Thoughts?

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
Bitterroot Bulls did you get the new Neoair 4 season that came out in 2011? It does look comfortable and compact to pack up, lightweight and the heat membrane sounds like a interesting innovation from other air pads that don't have good R value or are more bulky to pack with added insulation. I just was wondering if it did pop or leak would it still retain the R value somewhat? The pad gets good reviews from what I've read. I've had air pads where I had a hard time fixing or even finding the slow leaks easy. The Neoair looks like a good one though for me to perhaps look at again.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
Bitterroot Bulls did you get the new Neoair 4 season that came out in 2011? It does look comfortable and compact to pack up, lightweight and the heat membrane sounds like a interesting innovation from other air pads that don't have good R value or are more bulky to pack with added insulation. I just was wondering if it did pop or leak would it still retain the R value somewhat? The pad gets good reviews from what I've read. I've had air pads where I had a hard time fixing or even finding the slow leaks easy. The Neoair looks like a good one though for me to perhaps look at again.
I have the standard crazy-light Neoair with an R value of 3.2, which is actually pretty good on its own. I think the pad requires air for the R value. I don't know how easy it is to find leaks or fix, because it hasn't leaked.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I have the standard crazy-light Neoair with an R value of 3.2, which is actually pretty good on its own. I think the pad requires air for the R value. I don't know how easy it is to find leaks or fix, because it hasn't leaked.
Thanks Bitterroot Bulls. As I get older comfort becomes perhaps more of a factor in getting a good nights sleep so I'm torn between more comfort or the thought of reliving the pad failing on me out on a trip due to a leak. I checked on the pad's site and I see they even have new model NeoAir Xlite for 2012. It seems to have the same R-value, 3.2 as what your mentioning and 12 oz for the 72" long.

I'm sure I have been the biggest part in my mattress air pads failing in the past :). I took a look at the recommended maintenance video on their site and I'm sure I've missed more than a few points that caused some of the delamination or it's mode of failure. Proper storage, site placement, getting some sunscreen or DEET on it or exposed it to direct sunlight more than I should to mention a few. I tend to be tough on stuff so long lasting and fairly bulletproof tends to be something I tend to remind myself of knowing how I am.

http://cascadedesigns.com/therm-a-rest/mattresses/fast-and-light/neoair-xlite/product

Last edited:

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I am pretty careful with deet application. That stuff will eat up your rain jacket, tent walls, watch (my altimeter watch looks like it got too close to a fire). I won't let it near my Neoair. I don't have much other trouble taking care of my pad, either. It is either in my tent, or rolled up tight in the pack.

All that said, this pad seems more durable than you might think. I really like it. I have the Z-Lite pad also, but it doesn't get used now that I have the Neoair.

Kevin Root

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2011
San Jose, California
web.me.com
I am pretty careful with deet application. That stuff will eat up your rain jacket, tent walls, watch (my altimeter watch looks like it got too close to a fire). I won't let it near my Neoair. I don't have much other trouble taking care of my pad, either. It is either in my tent, or rolled up tight in the pack.

All that said, this pad seems more durable than you might think. I really like it. I have the Z-Lite pad also, but it doesn't get used now that I have the Neoair.
Ha that made me laugh about the deet. I've had my share of mishaps from that stuff leaking as well. I have a tripod that has that "close to the fire look" to it and it has ruined a day pack. Life's learning tends to be a work in progress :D.

My down Marmont sleeping bag material is real delicate so I have learned that I need to take better care of my sleeping equipment. I will tryout the NeoAir on a upcoming trip. I'm sure it is way more comfortable than the Z-Lite and I like the way it packs down and the rest of the specs on it.

Last edited: