Sleeping Pad?

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I do fear the day it develops a leak though as there will be no padding whatsoever at that point. The thermarest has it beat in that regard.
That is my fear with the BA Q-Core. But a few people that I have talked to swear by them and have been using them for a while. They seem pretty tough and feel really comfortable..

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Would you guys watch a video comparison of some of these pads? We are working on some gear videos for the summer.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I have a Big Agnes pad, but for the life of me, can't remember the model. It's 2.5-3" thick when inflated and beats my old .75" thick Thermarest. Never slept better in the backcountry (sleeping "well" being relative, of course). I do fear the day it develops a leak though as there will be no padding whatsoever at that point. The thermarest has it beat in that regard.
That reminds me, when my wife was in the hospital last year, I got one of these from the nurse to patch my Thermarest, I put it on and put duct tape over top of it to protect it and it worked like a champ:

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Tegaderm-Transparent-Dressing-1626W/dp/B000MATIWY

They use them to hold IV needles in place, they're very flexible and designed to stay on even sweaty skin, so they work well for this type of application, they just aren't designed to withstand punctures or abrasion, which is why I put the duct tape over it.

It's still on the pad, I'm going to check it this weekend and see how it's holding up.

Mule3006Elk

Jul 3, 2013
BA Q-Core SL. Mine weighs 19 oz. R-Value 4.5. 3.5" inch pad. Had a Therm-a-rest Neoair Xtherm but too noisy for me and the pad was only 2.5". Plus I prefer the rectangular shape of the BA vs. the semi-mummy shape of the Neoair Xtherm. 3-4 more ounces with less noise and more padding. I'll take it.

JasonGNV

Very Active Member
Jul 17, 2013
Smith
This thread is helping me decide what pad I'm getting, have always used a therma rest but found it has a leak and left me laying on hard ground last night. Getting older and more interested in comfort than weight. Looking into the BA.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
+1 for the Big Agnes Insulated Air Core, I've had mine for about 4 years now and it's still going strong. I've probably got close to 100 nights on it now.
I have used mine a few times and really like it. Very comfortable and so far I haven't had any problems sliding off the pad.

Fink

Veteran member
Apr 7, 2011
West Side, MoMo
I started out with a thermarest prolite, and after about 2 nights sleeping on it, my hips hurt so bad that I couldn't sleep more than 30 minutes without having to move. Made the switch to the old school thermarest closed cell foam pad, and sleep pretty good now.

michaelc10

Feb 22, 2015
I have a neoair , xtherm , prolite 4 and big agnus air insulated all good pads , sometimes I like the prolite 4 better inflates quick and weighs 1 pound , the x therm is a great pad at 1 pound with great r value rating for cold nights but a little noisy and still only 1 pound great for cold nights below 20 degrees or if using a quilt

COLOelkman

Mar 12, 2011
Lakewood, CO
This is an old thread but just thought I'd post that both the Exped and Thermarest new pads are on their website now which are lighter and better than the old ones of course so anyone in the market might want to check them out.

Collins

Feb 8, 2016
Green Bay, WI
I bought the Cabela's Instinct pad when it came out and have loved everything about it. I've used it for 3 weeks during September elk hunting. It's pretty light compared to similar pads, and has a great R value for warmth. It's probably about 3 inches when fully inflated, and it's engineered to have this "honey comb" style pattern that holds you and your sleeping bag in place without sliding around through out the night. It also has somewhat of a built in head rest area that acts like a pillow. Compared to my buddies Thermarest that he has brought the last few years, I'd take the Instinct pad all day.

B&C Blacktails

Mar 1, 2015
Yep big agnes all the way. I have been in -10 degrees and she kept warm and cozy all night. But they are really only meant for one person so don't overload it if you catch my drift.