Sleeping Pad?

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have been looking at the Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad. I like the design of it but it is a little on the heavy side.
I found good deals on Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mattresses in the past year because they have come out with newer models. They are thick, comfy, and insulated. Can't profess on the durability yet, but they have been solid so far.

AKaviator

Veteran member
Jul 26, 2012
I've used the Big Agnes insulated pads for several years and let my son take them to his athletic events, which speaks to their durability.
They get my vote.

wyohunter1

May 5, 2012
I run the neo-air x-lite also. It is warm, really light, and really compact. It seems flimsy but it is tough after what I put it thru. It is a little noisy!

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I have a chance to try out a Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad. I will put together a little review when I try it out. Its a little heavier than I am looking for but I like the design of the pad. I don't like a pad that I slip off of or that I have to keep adjusting. Dang its hard to find a level spot to set up camp!!

dihardhunter

Jul 27, 2012
Columbus, OH
www.skinnymoose.com
I think this is a new one to the list - 2/3 Peak A/C Elite by Hyalite. 11 ounces and is my go-to for backpack hunts. I traded in a Big Agnes for the weight savings, though I'm not sure if BA has managed to drop their weight more recently.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Today I received the Big Agnes Insulated Q-Core Sleeping Pad to try out. I will give it a try this weekend and report back next week. Mark

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
I got an Exped Synmat 9, I love it. Much thicker than my Thermarest, better support, warmer and quieter. Another plus for me is the built-in hand pump.

It's bulkier and heavier than the Thermarest, but that is easily outweighed by the huge increase in comfort.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Did a quick comparison of my Thermarest and the BA Q core Insulated pad.I weighed them on my scale. The Thermarest took 12 breaths to fully inflate and the Q-Core took 30 to inflate. the q-Core is insulated and has baffling that forms a quilted pattern. The problem I had with the Thermarest was sliding off it at night and it being a little on the thin side.. The Q-Core has bigger air chambers on the left and right sides which should eliminate the sliding off the sides of the pad. Being 4 inches thick and 5" wider when inflated it seems to be much more comfortable than the Thermarest. On my next backpacking trip I will report back with real world use. Mark

............................ pack weight w/sack .......Pack dimensions.......Inflated dimensions
Thermarest.....................1.48lbs..........................21"x 6"....................72"x20"x 1.5"
BA Q-Core Insulated.....2.10lbs..........................11"x 6"....................78"x25"x4"

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I use a 2 pad system. cheap close cell foam that is very light and you can sit on it where ever you want. and add a thermarest short prolite 3 to it. super light but adds some insulation and some cush.

Dec 14, 2012
Minnesota
Big Agnes Air Core SL Sleeping Pad is the one I use after seeing it in Eastman's. I have only spent half a dozen nights on it but it was better than a different one that I tried from a friend. I don't know if they were designed this way, but I actually put mine inside my mummy sleeping bag so I never fall off the pad at night. I found to sleep better this way from never rolling off of it.

MWScott72

Jan 27, 2012
West Jordan, UT
I have a Big Agnes pad, but for the life of me, can't remember the model. It's 2.5-3" thick when inflated and beats my old .75" thick Thermarest. Never slept better in the backcountry (sleeping "well" being relative, of course). I do fear the day it develops a leak though as there will be no padding whatsoever at that point. The thermarest has it beat in that regard.