Sleeping Pad?

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Hey everyone. This is sort of a take off of the Static V thread. I am still on the search for a new sleeping pad. I do like the insulated inflatable pads but cant decide on which one. I am concerned about the weight and looking for a lighter pad. Of course experience is the best teacher and you really cant try them out before you purchase them. The pad will be used from 10 degrees and up at higher elevations. Right now I have a older dated therm-a-rest that has seen better days. So what pads are you using and what are the pros and cons? Thanks ahead of time. Mark

JWM

Feb 21, 2014
I really like Thermarests NeoAir inflatables. They are super light, pack down to the size of a nalgene bottle and have good r values. They can be noisy if you move around a lot but the 3" thickness keeps you from feeling any rocks or pressure points. I also have the high end foam pads thermarests makes but usually the dogs sleep on those lol.

I haven't had any problems with durability. I am careful but typically don't use a full tent, just a ground cloth and have my dogs crawling all over them and me when it gets cold yet I haven't popped one.
Here's a pic with me on the NeoAir and one of the pups passed out on the Solite after a long day of ptarmigan hunting.

JWM

Feb 21, 2014
Forgot to mention another con...after a hard pack in at high altitude it can be tough to inflate the pad without getting pretty lightheaded. It takes about 20 good deep breaths to inflate. I've had mine since 2010.

Never in Doubt

Jul 9, 2012
I use a thermarest that is not an inflatable. It's tough and ready to go when I want to just crash and go to sleep after an exhausting day. It has a silver side that reflects heat. I like it and if I make a pillow out of my pack, I sleep like a baby.

There are usually sharp pine needles and all kinds of gravel and sharp pebbles that I could never clean them all up. So I have peace of mind with a mat that won't get a leak. But I'm sure the inflatables are at least slightly more comfortable. Probably depends how much you value maximum comfort. Hope this helps a little.

kevin_T

Aug 19, 2011
I often use a combination of a closed cell pad and torso length prolite inflatable. The ccf pad you never worry about, and the torso provides more comfort with about 2 breaths.

For comfort the exped mats are hard to beat and you don't need to breath into them. For durability a CCF is hard to beat.

Bitterroot Bulls

Veteran member
Apr 25, 2011
Montana
I have several pads. I like the Neoair as a general pad, and mine has held up fine. I also have a prolite, and really like it as well, plus it offers a little insulation and padding even if it springs a leak.

This year I am going to get an underquilt and spend more time in the hammock. Now that is comfy.

Don K

Very Active Member
Sep 10, 2011
Northern Illinois
Glad this was asked as I was looking into pads myself.
I see multiple different models of the Neo Air, what models are you guys using? I'm a side sleeper if that matters.

Last edited:

JWM

Feb 21, 2014
Not sure on the model, I have two and both were bought when they first came out and only offered as the NeoAir. One appears to be the all season and is a little heavier duty feeling and more comfortable. The other appears to have the same specs as the xlite. I like them both but prefer the all season even if its 5 or 6 ounces heavier.

Last edited:

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
Hey guys appreciate the information. This will get me heading in the right direction since there are so many choices. Mark

jamesmen

Feb 26, 2014
Hey everyone. This is sort of a take off of the Static V thread. I am still on the search for a new sleeping pad. I do like the insulated inflatable pads but cant decide on which one. I am concerned about the weight and looking for a lighter pad. Of course experience is the best teacher and you really cant try them out before you purchase them. The pad will be used from 10 degrees and up at higher elevations. Right now I have a older dated therm-a-rest that has seen better days. So what pads are you using and what are the pros and cons? Thanks ahead of time. Mark
I am sure you will find your answer in this roundup:
http://www.bestairmattressguide.com/experts-roundup/camping-experts-roundup-best-air-mattress-perfect-camping-trip/

13 active campers and adventurers share what is their sleeping pad of choice and why.

harleymc

Feb 27, 2014
Spokane, WA
I found good deals on Big Agnes Insulated Air Core mattresses in the past year because they have come out with newer models. They are thick, comfy, and insulated. Can't profess on the durability yet, but they have been solid so far.