Sleeping Pad?

GOSHENGRUNTER

Jan 8, 2014
Clermont County Ohio
Suggestions? went to Bass Pro and they had a very limited selection. Believe it or not there aren't many back country hunters here in the Buckeye State.

Looking for lightweight and small (duh....right?)

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
Exped Synmat 7ul. Weight is 16oz. packs down as small as a Nalgene bottle. It is the most comfortable pad I have ever had.

steveo

Oct 8, 2012
research Big Agnes, Exped pads. You can get them in regular, xwide, or mummy style. I have purchased my pads off Ebay. Usually you can look at every kind of pad. If you are backpacking, dont get the exped 9. Its a great winter pad on cots but really heavy to pack.

mnhoundman

Veteran member
Oct 25, 2012
Minnesota
Also check out klymit static v, it weighs 18 oz. 50.00 on amazon. Took it out last season for 6 nights and was pretty comfy I thought.

Laddy

Nov 19, 2013
Idaho
Exped Synmat 7ul. Weight is 16oz. packs down as small as a Nalgene bottle. It is the most comfortable pad I have ever had.
Similar to this....

Thermarest neoair x-lite

Thermarest neoair x-therm

I've used both over the last few years. Both come in around a pound and tri-fold tight down to a Nalgene bottle size. The x-therm has a rating of 5 or something and does a really good job of thermal reflection (more so than the x-lite). I used both with a down 15 degree bag, late season Idaho, where it rained, snowed and hailed in the back country and was pleased.

Their drawback is two fold in my humble opinion.....(a) for back country use, figure 3-4 seasons. They're just not built for heavy duty abuse. (B) if you're a light sleeper you'll probably wake yourself up as they have a "crushing aluminum foil" sound to them.

Hope this helped and good luck.

Dark Mavis

Mar 6, 2015
Vernon Parish, LA
If your a bass pro follower, cross over to the dark side and check out cabelas. Search the bargain cave, be patient, and they'll eventually put what your looking for on there, at a slightly less offensive price.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Thermarest neoair x-therm

Their drawback is two fold in my humble opinion.....(a) for back country use, figure 3-4 seasons. They're just not built for heavy duty abuse. (B) if you're a light sleeper you'll probably wake yourself up as they have a "crushing aluminum foil" sound to them.

Hope this helped and good luck.
My buddy has one - warm and light but when we are in my big Cabela's outfitters tent and he is across on the other side he wakes me up when he turns over. If he was sleeping next to me in my BA Copper Spur I wouldnt be able to sleep.

luckynv

Aug 3, 2014
Henderson, Nv
Checkout Thermarest Ridgecrest Solite, foam not as packable, not as compact but they never, ever, ever leak or go flat. 14 ounce's for 20 X 72. Not quite 3/4 inch thick. Can find them on campmor.com Good luck and God bless

melsdad

Aug 24, 2012
S.W. Pennsylvania

I will second this pad. It is super light weight and very comfortable. I also bought the snozzle for inflation and it is well worth it. The snozzle also doubles as a dry sack and weighs only a few ounces.

25contender

Veteran member
Mar 20, 2013
I went the other way when I bought a new pad!! :cool: Ill tell you I went the light,thin,and small route before. I would slide off the pad had to keep adjusting it etc.etc.!! I sleep like a rock now on the BA Insulated Q-Core pad. Yes its about 10ozs heavier than the above mentioned but well worth the little extra weight for a good few hours of sleep.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
I went the other way when I bought a new pad!! :cool: Ill tell you I went the light,thin,and small route before. I would slide off the pad had to keep adjusting it etc.etc.!! I sleep like a rock now on the BA Insulated Q-Core pad. Yes its about 10ozs heavier than the above mentioned but well worth the little extra weight for a good few hours of sleep.
Yup, exactly. Not being able to sleep well will destroy a productive hunt.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
A tip for using an inflatable pad that I learned is, don't over inflate it. Just get enough air in it to get your low point off the ground. When you're sitting on it, you will bottom out but laying down it will cradle you and you won't slide off as easy. Best sleep ever.

JMSZ

Sep 5, 2012
research Big Agnes, Exped pads. You can get them in regular, xwide, or mummy style. I have purchased my pads off Ebay. Usually you can look at every kind of pad. If you are backpacking, dont get the exped 9. Its a great winter pad on cots but really heavy to pack.
I have the 9 (long wide at that) and I love it, I think the extra weight is justified by the huge increase in comfort over the Termarest I had been using. That said, I haven't slept on a Synmat 7, so I don't know how much of a difference there is from that.

I went with the 9 because of the higher R value.

And I picked the Synmat over the Big Agnes because the Synmat has the pump built in - I didn't want to be blowing up a pad by mouth at 10,000ft.

87TT

Very Active Member
Apr 23, 2013
Idaho
My wife has the Exped downmat 9. She loves it and I have tried it and it is really comfortable. She gets cold when she sleeps but that pad with her -15* mountain Hardware bag and she never gets cold now down to single digits. The Synmat 7 is warm enough for me and more that comfortable enough. I have the little pump that snaps on to the fill valve and it is a snap to inflate. My wife's pad had the built in pump but mine is easier and weighs less I think. The Synmat 7 weighs less that half the 9 and packs down way smaller. If you are a cold sleeper, go with the 9 but they are both the most comfortable sleep I have had camping or otherwise.

Sawfish

Very Active Member
Jun 9, 2011
Peoples Republik of Kalifornia
I think you would have better luck at an REI store, or Dicks. Check out Sierra Trading Post for some terrific deals on closeouts. I bought two complete sets of merino first layer, plus a couple of other items for under $100 delivered.

ivorytip

Veteran member
Mar 24, 2012
SE Idaho
klymit pad has been great for me, first pad I tried I wasn't a fan of, always leaked. I found one for cheap and grabbed it and its awesome and compacts small!