Silk Sleeping Bag Liners

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Guys I am interested in your opinions of silk liners for sleeping bags. Looking for one for my down bag. I have other liners but am needing something for my wilderness trips which seem to be more of the kind of hunting I do these days. Everything on the back so need light weight. I am leaning towards the Sea to Summit mummy. Thoughts?

ID_MW

Apr 17, 2011
Central ID
I have multiple sleeping bag liners, including a silk liner for early season scouting/ fishing/ hunting trips. I love the liners for multiple reasons; most importantly keeping my expensive sleeping bags cleaner. After a few days in the field I am usually pretty nasty- the liner might postpone a wash for my bag for another trip. I totally agree with 25contender, that sticky feeling of oily skin on nylon is gross. Every time you stuff or wash a down bag, down is being damaged and loses its loft; i.e, our expensive bags are dying. The liners also trap some body heat, boosting the "temperature rating" of the bag. You can get away with a bit lighter bag using a liner, but saving your bag from the dreaded washing machine makes it a smart choice to add to your kit.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Guys
Thanks for the replies so far. I guess I need to be a little clearer in what I am asking for - sorry any confusion on how I started this thread.
Lets try again! I am going to buy a silk liner for my down mummy to help with keeping it clean and more comfortable. I have heavier weight ones already and need a light one for backpacking. I am looking for specific brands that you own and pros or cons with those brands. Thanks Mark for steering me to the coccoon silk mummy. Any others out there?

ID_MW

Apr 17, 2011
Central ID
Right on, Iron Mike. I used the Cocoon silk liner for a couple seasons and really liked it. I ended up having cutting it into pieces to make meat bags due to a moronic error; forgetting to throw my game bags in the kit before a trip. I have the Sea To Summit silk liner now. It's like 5 ounces I think. I like the S to S liner- it has stretch panels that add a bit more comfort than the Cocoon, which would feel a bit restrictive, especially if you toss and turn. My brother has some weird brand of silk liner for his summer bag- I am blanking on the name- Some Scandinavian company. I am sure a Google search could provide a bevy of alternatives. I can say that silk makes a pretty sweet game bag in a pinch though. Good luck and happy shopping.

Iron Mike

Oct 23, 2014
Tumalo, Oregon
Thanks ID
When your in the woods you got to overcome, adapt and improvise! What i saw was a successful hunt with a minor hick up. Thanks for the review. The real question is did the bags keep the blow flys off?