Should the fires change your plans?

Mikey C

Nov 4, 2014
Michigan
What type of change have you guys seen when fires roll through?

I have hunted just south of the Hayden Pass fire in the past, and have been determined to figure that area out, but what would your thoughts be on heading back in near that area this fall?

With time being so valuable (and it being already late) any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated!!

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
If I was from out of state and wasn't able to get into the area to check it out I think that I would contact the Parks and Wildlife office and see about getting my tag money back. There are just too many ifs.

Now if I was a local and could get into the area to see what has happened to it I think that I may hunt it, but it would all depend on what the fires had burnt and what was still standing.

Colorado T

Aug 28, 2011
Littleton, CO
I would contact the local wildlife biologist and see if they can give you any information on the area you are wanting to hunt and if it was affected.

SGM

Apr 19, 2016
Canon City Colorado
Fire is a long way from out so pretty Iffy if you will be able to get into you hunting place. Here is todays info on the fire.

Basic Information
Current as of 7/29/2016, 7:59:43 AM
Incident Type Wildfire
Cause Lightning/natural
Date of Origin Friday July 08th, 2016 approx. 06:00 PM
Location 20 miles SE of Salida, CO
Incident Commander Robert Smith Type 3 IC
Current Situation
Total Personnel 136
Size 16,559 Acres
Percent of Perimeter Contained 58%
Estimated Containment Date Saturday October 01st, 2016 approx. 12:00 AM
Fuels Involved
Timber (Grass and Understory)
Beetle Kill
Chaparral (6 feet), old growth oak brush, pinon Juniper, Ponderosa Pine
Significant Events
Minimal creeping and smoldering. Fire activity continues in the Cottonwood drainage. Small runs with group torching in wilderness, burning interior pockets of green. Minimal growth.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Bring lots of marshmallows, Hershey chocolate bars, and Graham crackers, jay in case it's a bust.