Shooting Bags

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
Old hunting socks filled with sand are great
But they aren’t too expensive to purchase said item.
However it’s nice to have some variation for diff shooters.

bux4brainz

Jul 18, 2017
Utah
is it the dead shot combo or tack driver filled bag?
I use the Rock Deluxe in combination with the Deadshot rear bag. I'd like to try the Caldwell Lead Sled but I was advised not to because it doesn't allow for natural recoil. I'm not entirely sure if that is a bad thing or not.

tim

Veteran member
Jun 4, 2011
north idaho
I like the lead sled for sighting in rifles and verifying, than just shoot. The only rifle i have ever had an issue with sighting in with the lead sled was a ruger #1 in 30-06.

I have also used bags of shot for shooting bags.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Honestly a lot of it depends on the size of rifle. Lead sleds have worked better for me on the small rifles while the bags have helped me for the bigger guns that I need more space to get proper form on the shooting table.

disabled combat vet

Jul 13, 2019
Pueblo, Colorado
Honestly a lot of it depends on the size of rifle. Lead sleds have worked better for me on the small rifles while the bags have helped me for the bigger guns that I need more space to get proper form on the shooting table.
Now that you said that it makes sense, it seems sometimes that my sled is too big for my 30/06 and I can't get the proper form and I thought it was just me. I'm looking into the Caldwell Dead Shot Bags.

Reactions: ScottR

DRUSS

Very Active Member
Jun 22, 2014
nw oregon
i use the hunter wedge bag i bought from long range only, and another i got from Wiebad tactical(cant remember exact name).

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
I use the led sled to sight in a rifle, especially my muzzleloader. But after that, I usually just shoot of my pack. I like the led sled knowing that the gun is on and then the rest is on me!

Clearly you didn't read that one thread about "how much different the POI is from a lead sled to the sand bags"...lol

I use a lead sled as well. I remove the front thing and put a sand bag up there and one in the back as well.
And for the record, when I lay flat on the sand bags my POI doesn't change from the lead sled...but some folks will argue that it will change. I don't know, I'm no ribbon chaser. I just want to be able to hit a pie plate at 500 yards.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
Clearly, I must have missed that! Hahahahaha.
i definitely don’t like the feel of the led sled. But I’ve never had issues sighting in with the led sled to me shooting of my pack.