shed hunting :)

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
Funny. I was just thinking that it might be good to go out and give it a try. It was 68 in Reno today and I'm thnking this hot weather my get the horns dropping sooner then later

beav906

Apr 18, 2011
Bend, OR
We've been finding quite a few while bird hunting. Nothing fresh, but seen some dandies still holding

RUTTIN

Veteran member
Feb 26, 2011
Kamas, Utah
I have been working in Evanston the last few weeks, and there are alot of bucks around. All of the bucks, big or small seem to still be packing. The smaller bucks antlers are weathered pretty good, but the older bucks still have alot of dark color to them. Good luck to you all.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I was told a guy in Norhern Nv shot a buck about a week ago and when he go to it both were laying on the ground beside the buck.

kcaves

Jun 3, 2011
wyoming
my friends have been finding whitetails, a nice 180 incher set, and i found a little fork horn right in the middle of the road when i was going to look at elk last week (elk hunting never seems to end with me). Time to go beat the bush

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
my friends have been finding whitetails, a nice 180 incher set, and i found a little fork horn right in the middle of the road when i was going to look at elk last week (elk hunting never seems to end with me). Time to go beat the bush
Nothin' wrong with that. I watch the elk all year long. I watch em in the winter to see where and when they are shedding and I watch them the rest of the year to watch their horns grow and find out where they are for hunting! I'm pretty much as elk obsessed as they come.

jenbickel

Veteran member
Feb 22, 2011
Sheridan, Wyoming
www.facebook.com
Ugh. Yeah that definitely sucks! I get that up here too. I have found that I tend to have an easier time gaining access though with being a girl. I dont think most ranchers take me too seriously. I tell them I want to look for horns and they probably think I want to go take pictures and have a picnic. Haha. One year I went on a ranch and came out with 35 deer horns in just a few hours, you should have seen the look on his face! :) maybe just put on a dress and make yourself look pretty and go ask permission lol

RayleighsDad

Nov 3, 2011
Texas
Picked up some yesterday with my dog after feeding cattle. One real nice matched set from one that I was afraid had not made the season. I'll try to get my photos off the phone and uploaded here!

sticknbiggens

Mar 10, 2011
Wyoming
2012-02-29_14-12-43_885.jpgc'mon may 1st!! seems our winter is starting late again this year:rolleyes: Maybe this picture will help hold us over till spring time. winter kill find from last year...

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I was coming home from town last evening after my weekly indoor pistol league shoot and saw about 100 deer out feeding. I stopped and started looking and saw probably 10 that had horns, mostly forkies and small 3 bys. I kinda expected them to have mostly shed by now. Nothing big as anything in the 4 by class usually ends up in someones freezer. It's about a mile from my homeplace and lots of deer in these parts. Mostly hayfields, orchards and grass with lots of locals hunting on the all the private property. Every year I see a few big boys (180+) after the season closes and the rut starts, but not this year. The seem to disappear after rut is over. A friend has several thousand acres of sunflower fields about 10 miles away and called my to bring my quad and come over and help him look for elk sheds tomorrow. Will see how that comes out. He usually has a lot of elk winter over around his place.

dito

Feb 22, 2011
Alamosa, CO
I am hoping to take the labs out this weekend and give it a shot. I've never shed hunted before so it should be interesting. I got the dogs finding antlers so hopefully it translates over to the field!