Secondary Draw

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Got the official ahhh shucks email.

No tags for me in the draws this year...makes 2 years in a row.

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
1st rifle bull tag for my daughter, she’ll be elk hunting the day she turns 16 (or hopefully packing one out!). 2nd rifle buck tag for my son in a good unit, I have 2nd rifle buck tag in the unit next door so I’ll have to kill a 190 on the first day then go scout for him 😉 . Both kids are beside themselves excited, it is shaping up to be an exciting fall!

D_Dubya

Aug 8, 2012
South Texas
Draw odds are out. Non resident youth drew over 60% of the tags in some good units.

That is just silly. Resident youth deserve 80-20 split or something needs to change.

Pretty clear CPW sure does hate us resident hunters…

Stat link below.

It seems like it shouldn’t be that difficult to set the secondary draw up to use preference points and a reasonable R/NR split. Keep 100% youth preference for doe/cow tags.

not clearing points out of the system seems to be a major issue to me. But, I have two nonresident youth who are benefiting greatly from this system so I’m not complaining too much.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
It seems like it shouldn’t be that difficult to set the secondary draw up to use preference points and a reasonable R/NR split. Keep 100% youth preference for doe/cow tags. Not clearing points out of the system seems to be a major issue to me.

Careful.....eeeeaaaaasy.......taaaake it down a peg or two...............your starting to talk common problem solving sense on a hunting forum....:ROFLMAO:

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
Draw odds are out. Non resident youth drew over 60% of the tags in some good units.

That is just silly. Resident youth deserve 80-20 split or something needs to change.

Pretty clear CPW sure does hate us resident hunters…

Stat link below.

They don't hate you. They love you and your money. But, well, it's just that they love non-resident money more. So would I if I was getting 13X the money for selling a tag to a NR.

OH BTW, I'll sell you My Ram truck for $390,000...Or should I sell it to my resident neighbor for $30,000? Meh, I will sell it to you if you got the money to buy it...

Don't think this wasn't by design....And I don't disagree with you that there should be some kind of youth R/NR split for the secondary draw and a loss of points. 70/30'ish split sounds fair to me for secondary draw. And for the record I would be mad about it as well. But, with non-residents already footing the bill for most of the states funds I don't think many non-residents are going to rush to your rescue on this one.

I wont go on my tirade about people turning these tags back in so they end up on this list for youth second draw, or WHO is turning these tags back in, or the fact that preference points are not required. (This does need to be fixed BTW...start here if you have complaints) I have bored enough people with that thought process....lol

Bonecollector

Veteran member
Mar 9, 2014
Ohio
In addition to the difference in revenue, aka, cost of the tags;
NON Residents, by a large margin, (90/10 - there's your split), spend more money in the state on commerce than a resident youth with the same tag.

Granby guy

Nov 5, 2012
Grand Lake, Colorado
It seems like it shouldn’t be that difficult to set the secondary draw up to use preference points and a reasonable R/NR split. Keep 100% youth preference for doe/cow tags.

not clearing points out of the system seems to be a major issue to me. But, I have two nonresident youth who are benefiting greatly from this system so I’m not complaining too much.
Or adopt a 90/10 split for residents. Not all youth are enthralled with doe/cow tags.

Reactions: ColoradoV

Tychr

Jul 20, 2022
At Tychr, we focus on enhancing creative and intellectual faculties of students, equipping them with desired cutting edge competencies to excel in the ever dynamic 21st century and ultimately serving the global student community.

Visit website: https://tychr.com/

Reactions: swampokie