Secondary Draw for Big Game Tags

Zim

Very Active Member
Feb 28, 2011
LaPorte, IN
There's already enough of a quality tag shortage without dad, I mean kid or outfitter entitlements. I have had my share of quality hunts, but I know a pile of tag-less senior sportsmen that deserve better. Kids should be cutting their teeth in general units. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Not to mention a major medical excuse is OK, but there needs to be major consequences for returning otherwise. Got to battle point creep.

mallardsx2

Veteran member
Jul 8, 2015
There's already enough of a quality tag shortage without dad, I mean kid or outfitter entitlements. I have had my share of quality hunts, but I know a pile of tag-less senior sportsmen that deserve better. Kids should be cutting their teeth in general units. Absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Not to mention a major medical excuse is OK, but there needs to be major consequences for returning otherwise. Got to battle point creep.
Blasphemy!

With posts like that you're potentially going to have to sit in the corner. lol

Don't worry, I'm there most of the time...we'll just BS about hunting, women, and how we didn't get awarded trophy participation big game tags as children.

What are you seniors crying about anyway? You got to enjoy the heydays of mule deer hunting and had OTC mule deer tags...lol

Kidding around of course.

Last edited:

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I have a handful of units that I have researched and hunted that are not generally very popular for various reasons. When I don't draw or just want points, I go to them and look to see if there are any available as left overs or secondary draw. This year I put in for 4 different tags for elk in then secondary draw, I drew my 3rd choice. The unit is marginal unless certain things happen, then it can be great. I'll get to hunt and might even fill my tag. If I was a NR, I probably wouldn't take the chance because of the price of the tag, but as a resident....well you get the picture.

ColoradoV

Very Active Member
Oct 4, 2011
Think Cowboy has it figured out… Or adults can draw in the secondary = draw know quite a few folks that did.

I for one don’t mind point creep at all = as it is just part of the deal in Co. Just don’t see it as that much of a problem. Keeps the lemmings at bay while they search for a unit that will drop a 180” buck or 350” bull while in the back of their truck 🌶😆.. Better for those folks to sit on the sidelines and dream anyway.

My father killed an elk last year on public land at 80.. Should have killed a 220+” buck at 76…. The only 2 of his friends that put in the time when they were younger so they can still hunt both drew bull tags one filled it…. Actual hunters and not gathers… OR

In the hunting world there are hunters and there are gathers.. If you can’t figure out a way to hunt every year it’s not any states fault as it is the hunters choice to gather points.. There is nothing better for the system from where I sit than a hunter paying the fees and just gathering points for a once in a lifetime hunt. It allows us hunters to hunt…

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I've always said that if a person wants to hunt he'll find a way to go hunting.

The units that I put in for usually have a couple of tags in the leftover or secondary draw but with the youth hunters having priority I don't even bother with them. If I want to hunt elk where I like I'll just pick up a OTC tag, either archery or a rifle tag and go hunt them.