Screwed Up in Wyoming Last Years Draw

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
So how many screwed up like I did last year with the Wyoming draw?

I put in for a preference point draw for antelope and didn't see that they don't give out a preference point anymore for a unsuccessful draw. You have to purchase a PP even if you put in for the draw.

So I missed out on a antelope PP last year. When I looked at my points today I couldn't figure out what I had done. I then looked at my partners points and saw that his showed the same thing so I called up to Wyoming and they told me what I had done.

Oh well, I do have enough points for deer so I may put in for the deer hunt and buy a point for antelope.

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
So how many screwed up like I did last year with the Wyoming draw?

I put in for a preference point draw for antelope and didn't see that they don't give out a preference point anymore for a unsuccessful draw. You have to purchase a PP even if you put in for the draw.

So I missed out on a antelope PP last year. When I looked at my points today I couldn't figure out what I had done. I then looked at my partners points and saw that his showed the same thing so I called up to Wyoming and they told me what I had done.

Oh well, I do have enough points for deer so I may put in for the deer hunt and buy a point for antelope.
Sorry that you missed out on the point. I drew a Wyoming antelope tag so I couldn't buy a preference point for future draws. Or did I screw up too ? Can you buy a Wyoming antelope preference point after drawing a tag?

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Sorry that you missed out on the point. I drew a Wyoming antelope tag so I couldn't buy a preference point for future draws. Or did I screw up too ? Can you buy a Wyoming antelope preference point after drawing a tag?
I didn't think to ask but I an sure that the answer would be no.

As to why they did it that way, they told me that people were getting confused. I guess that the other states just have confused applicants. But it could be the way that they sell points after the draws, you would think that they would change that and incorporate buying points into the draw like other states

Yell Co AR Hunter

Very Active Member
Dec 10, 2015
Yell County Arkansas
I missed that as well. Good thing I did not apply for a tag last year. That is a good question on the point purchase after the draw. Prior you could not get a point the year you drew a tag. Of course you would lose accumulated points, but might be able to start building a year early. Anyone know for sure?

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
You can't buy a point the year you draw a tag for said species. If you draw the tag in the second draw, or buy it leftover then you can.

I'm really questioning how great of an effect this quarantine will have. Point creep might be blown up for a year.

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
Point creep is crazy. A unit that 2 years ago you could draw with 5 or 6 points now takes 8 or 9.

A couple of years ago I thought that it was just those that were point banking jumping into the draw but most of them should now be out of it but the points just keep going up.

ScottR

Eastmans' Staff / Moderator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2014
www.eastmans.com
Point creep is crazy. A unit that 2 years ago you could draw with 5 or 6 points now takes 8 or 9.

A couple of years ago I thought that it was just those that were point banking jumping into the draw but most of them should now be out of it but the points just keep going up.
I sent this thread to Guy, he will probably chime in.

Personally I believe that the biggest issue is that there are a lot of hunters applying down, so to speak. The internal debate of going hunting or waiting for the perfect year. After waiting a few years they want to just get out there, so they look for units they have more than enough of and boom point requirements have risen. Meanwhile everyone else get's one more point and that pushes everything up.

Reactions: Ikeepitcold

Colorado Cowboy

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2011
Dolores, Colorado
I must have not understood JimP's post. I understood that you couldn't apply for a point if you drew your first choice, that is still true. I called Wyo F & G and that is also what they told me.

Johnbud

Jan 6, 2018
Wisconsin
You can't buy a point the year you draw a tag for said species. If you draw the tag in the second draw, or buy it leftover then you can.

I'm really questioning how great of an effect this quarantine will have. Point creep might be blown up for a year.
Still not sure that I'm understanding this correctly. If you draw an antelope tag as a "second choice" can you buy a point for future years? And yes, I think that you are right that point creep is gonna blow up.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
Still not sure that I'm understanding this correctly. If you draw an antelope tag as a "second choice" can you buy a point for future years? And yes, I think that you are right that point creep is gonna blow up.
Yes. You apply first choice hunt area 200, second choice area 300, third choice 400.
You draw area 300, area 400 you can still buy a preference point that year and hunt.

DoubleDropMuley

Apr 18, 2020
Glad I don’t have to worry about the points game in wyo!! Resident 😁 But if I was a nonres I would like the point option when I applied instead of trying to have to remember again between July and November!!! I feel your pain

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
I may of just missed it when I looked through the web site, or it might not of even been listed on it but I'll take responsibility for screwing up for the two of us that were putting in together.

That screw up perhaps cost me a antelope tag this year, we'll see after the draw.

Reactions: DoubleDropMuley