Scope Upgrades…

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
I have a Whisky5 ABS on my .308 and a Sierra3 BDX on my 28 Nosler. Both are great scopes and are my favorites in my arsenal.

idcwby

Administrator
Jun 23, 2015
Idaho
Is there a certain reason you’re looking at the Sig’s? I know the ones that Bluetooth to the rangefinder aren’t legal in all the states.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I have mostly Leupold VXIII's on my rifles, but have a Shepard on the 30-06, and a Vortex on the 5.56. All do the job, but I must say that the VXIII's have never failed to impress me. At this point in my life I try to never buy anything that is made in China, but sometimes that is unavoidable. SIG binos are Chinese made, but I don't know about the scopes. That doesn't mean that the quality isn't there, but I prefer to support US companies and US workers. At least Japan (optics glass) and the Philipines (Vortex) aren't trying to cut our throats.

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I'm there same boat, except for my daughter's rifle. Debating on just putting a Leupold VX-Freedom on her gun, or giving her my VX-3 3.5x10 and getting a VX-3 4.5x14 with ballistics dial for my gun.
Figure I'm already half way there with the Freedom, might as well spend a little more and we both get great scopes.

RICMIC

Veteran member
Feb 21, 2012
Two Harbors, Minnesota
I'm there same boat, except for my daughter's rifle. Debating on just putting a Leupold VX-Freedom on her gun, or giving her my VX-3 3.5x10 and getting a VX-3 4.5x14 with ballistics dial for my gun.
Figure I'm already half way there with the Freedom, might as well spend a little more and we both get great scopes.
I put a Leupold Freedom on my .22 and am totally satisfied with it. It is a reasonably priced scope with good optics, but I certainly would upgrade to the III's for a hunting rifle.

nv-hunter

Veteran member
Feb 28, 2011
Reno
Idaho for sure. Oregon may be another, but I’d have to re-read the rules to be 100%. I think there was an article about New Mexico or Arizona prohibiting them also.
Be interesting to see that info listed in the members only section when doing state breakdowns

go_deep

Veteran member
Nov 30, 2014
Wyoming
I put a Leupold Freedom on my .22 and am totally satisfied with it. It is a reasonably priced scope with good optics, but I certainly would upgrade to the III's for a hunting rifle.
My daughter's rifle is a wood stock .243, so fairly low recoil, but I think I'm just going to spend the extra money.

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
With higher price optics you also get better clarity.

I remember one hunting trip when my nephew looked through my Leopold that was on my. 340 Weatherby at a elk. He proclaimed that he could see the elk better through the scope than he could through his binoculars which were Vortex.

He took the shot and bagged the elk

JimP

Administrator
Mar 28, 2016
Gypsum, Co
swarvorski makes some nice optics.
I had a outfitter friend who said that he hated to see a client show up with a Swarvoski scope on his rifle. He said that they make fantastic optics but their scopes leave a lot to be desired in the sturdiness department. He had seen too many of them take unrepeatable damage while hunting in the hills after they had banged a tree, rock, or if the rifle had fallen onto the ground. His favorite scope was Leopold.

Now for his other optics, all he carried for binoculars, and a spotting scope were Swarvoski's.

Muley bound

Mar 12, 2013
Wisconsin
I have to agree with the majority. I love Leupolds. I’ve dropped mine in river bed of boulders and never moved the scope. Every one I’ve put on a gun has never came off zero. I just put a new vx3 on my wife’s .308 too. I’ve got 3 vx3 and 1 vx5. I’ll be buying another vx3 to put on my sons 6.5

Reactions: disabled combat vet