Savage Lightweight hunter

50bowhunter

Jan 6, 2016
I"m in the market for a new rifle, looking for something light and fairly compact. I put my hands on the Savage model 16 lightweight hunter today and was pretty impressed. It seemed to balance better than I though it would being so light. I do wish it had a 22" barrel instead of the 20" but I guess the difference in velocity it pretty minimal. I'm looking for something in 260, 6.5 creedmoor, 7mm-08, or 308. Does anyone have any experience with the Savage lightweight or any suggestions for anything similar? I'm also looking at the Tikka T3. I found a pretty good deal on a T3 hunter with the wood stock in 260 i'm considering. Don't really want wood, but the price is almost too good to pass up.

mntnguide

Very Active Member
ive had mine for about 10 years in 7 mag...taken just about everything with it...bighorn sheep/elk/deer/antelope etc...I beat up guns, so stainless steel barrel with composite stock is a must. Im also a highcountry hunter and need a lightweight rifle. Im plenty happy with mine and have no intentions of not using it.

Ikeepitcold

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 22, 2011
Reno Nv
The Eastmans shoot the Savage Lightweight Hunter last I heard, I believe in 6.5 Creedmoor. You can see them in the hunting show.
Yes that is correct.

I would go with a different stock. The stock it comes with won't hold up well with lots of moisture. Other then that it's a great rifle.

ore hunter

Very Active Member
Jul 25, 2014
I just got the savage 116 s s in 6.5 creedmoor this spring,,,very pleased with it,,,the model 116 ss is 1 lb heavyer but has the accustock set up..great gun for 759 that I paid.shoots nice and tight,id recommend it over a 1 lb savings,,,just my opinion,,im sure both are nice production guns.

HuskyMusky

Veteran member
Nov 29, 2011
IL
Tikka is a good shooting gun. However, I HATE the looks of the receiver. I know it does not effect the shooting but I need to like the way the rifle looks too.
I believe the tikka t3x the new version has a difference receiver that can be loaded from the top....? but I'm not certain.

Tim McCoy

Veteran member
Dec 15, 2014
Oregon
I believe the tikka t3x the new version has a difference receiver that can be loaded from the top....? but I'm not certain.
The X model, as one of it's improvements, has a wider ejection port. I'd not categorize it as top loading, still in pretty much the same side location, but the larger size is said to make it easier to load one round. I've not handled the new model, just basing that off some pictures of it I've seen.